Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skysensor 2000PC cable

Stu

Hi,

I have a very nice GP-DX mount with a Skysensor 2000PC controller. I also have a SkyFi III unit heading my way, thank you Kerry, which has USB and Serial connections. I have used this type of pairing before, using Skysafari to drive the mount and it works very well so I would love to replicate that with my new kit.

My question... I can't seem to find online an RS-232C to 9 pin D type cable which is, I believe, what I need to connect the two. Does anyone know a good place to source one?

Thanks!

Is that RJ45 to DB9 or DB9 to DB9 ?? 

If its the former have a look for Cisco Console Cable (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-Console-Cable-72-3383-01-DB9-to-RJ45-Cisco-Serial-Console-Cable-Rollover/272586979075?epid=219495362&hash=item3f77733703:g:vCwAAOSwB-1YwPeR)  or does it need an FTDI converter cable ??

For DB9 to DB9, something like this should do, 'https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-Serial-Cable-DB9-Male-to-DB9-Pin-Female-EXTENSION-Cable-5-METRE-Lead/273261161578?hash=item3f9fa26c6a:g:aJ8AAOSwD39aVJ3x' but you must check what 'ends' are required (plugs\sockets?)

• 1 month later...

I've just been in touch with the company that makes SkyFi III. My question to them concerned the type of cable I needed to connect the unit to my Celestron Nexstar SE. In the Celestron manual, there is a diagram of the hand controller, and the single port on its base is clearly labelled as an RS 232 port. In the QuickStart Guide that comes with the SkyFi, there are notes to the effect that if you have a Celestron with a NexStar controller, it is vital to connect the SkyFi to the RS 232 port on the handset (as opposed to any other port on the mount or elsewhere). The SkyFi itself has three ports, one being an RS232, but there is also a micro usb and a third I'm not sure about (see the first pic attached)

So far, so good. However.........

The port on the base of the controller is NOT an RS 232, it is in fact a mini USB (see the second pic attached). Simulation Curriculum (who make the SkyFi III) say that you can connect the micro usb on the SkyFi to the mini usb on the controller. This is at variance to what their own QuickStart Guide says, but I rather suspect that when the guide was written up, the author had a look at the Celestron manual and didn't bother to check the accuracy  of the port information in it.

I've ordered a micro to mini cable, which is due to arrive on Saturday 10th. If anyone is interested, I'll report back on how everything works out.

Alan S.

SkyFi3.jpg

NexStar.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks both for your answers, sorry for the delayed reply.

The cable I need is to go from the port circled on the attached diagram to either the USB or the 9 pin DIN on the SkyFi unit as in @Ryohei56's post. I assume it needs to be a cross over cable but not sure?

Any thoughts appreciated.

20181116_141718.jpg

• 2 months later...

Very pleased to say that I found a supplier on eBay who said they could build me a crossover cable as per the spec  above. It arrived today, and based on a quick test it works! I can connect to the Skysensor from my phone and the co-ordinates agree between the two systems. I'll do a full test on the mount but all looks good.

The item number on eBay is 123595768959 and the seller is york-av. I guess it makes sense that an AV company used to dealing with control systems is not a crazy place to go for a serial cable. Been wanting one of these for a while so am very pleased.

Screenshot_20190116-193135_eBay.jpg

31 minutes ago, GraemeC said:

Well done! Lets hope it continues to work when the clouds go away.  What version of Sky Safari are you using?

Thanks Graeme. I have 5 Pro and 6 Pro, both work very well.

My latest challenge is trying to get a Sphinx mount with Starbook controller connected using a wireless router, having less success with that currently!

Archived