Narrowband

Backpack scope?

A mad concept, or doable, with the right approach?

I am wondering if it would be possible to get a half decent scope that is light enough to fit in a backpack and take to very remote places? It would also have to be quite robust too, obviously. I had considered the Sky Watcher Heritage 100p, it only weighs 2.8 KG, so the weight is doable, but I doubt the robustness of the thing. I have also considered the Sky watcher EvoGuide 50 ED Guidescope, which with a little work and a decent photo tripod, could make a decent set up. Of course there are spotter scopes that could be half decent, but I have not been impressed with the cheaper end of these in the past.

Therefore, I ask you: Am I mad to even consider this? Or is it doable? 

Easily doable! 

The aluminium case that my Altair 72mm frac came with “died” as our train pulled into Kings Cross. At Gatwick I spent £72 (more than I wanted to) on a Samsonite backpack took the foam innards of the case plus contents, and just slid into the backpack.

That plus a lightweight photo tripod and you’re good to go!

I haven’t a pic of the backpack, but can take one later this week.

Chris

D2C4EA86-72B5-4B1D-A90C-8FB87D58AF27.jpeg

AB0C352D-CDEF-4E4D-92B2-9E1BD8157BE2.jpeg

It is very doable. What sort of budget do you have?

At the entry level, something like an ST80 on a photo tripod would work very well at a dark site. Not great at high power but alot of fun at low to mid powers.

The small 90 or 102mm maks are very compact and are a good way of getting some more aperture out somewhere remote. Their weakness is the long focal length which prevents lovely wide field views which are great under those dark skies.

A small refractor like the Skwatcher 72ED or the TS 72mm is an excellent choice too, compact and light, great for widefield but optically excellent for higher powers. Nice and robust for travel too.

Mount wise, I prefer the small giro mounts like the mini-giro or Giro-WR (If still available) on a good photo tripod. Or if you want goto, the AZGTi is still very compact.

Plenty of options, and lots of examples on SGL with a bit of searching. One of the Geoffs on here has a great kit with, I think, a 127 mak which packs into a rucksack. I guess it also depends how much you want to carry and how far!

For a lightweight alt-az mount you could use a ballhead mount such as the one shown below attached to my TeleVue Ranger...

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.61d0def85db3d5e798128ef6d95d020b.JPG

...the saddle plate is just wide enough to accept a 'Vixen' / 'SkyWatcher' type dovetail. 

I am more concerned with size and it being robust, rather than other considerations. I am not sure about budget, but will look at all options.

I am not just looking for  a scope that fits in a backpack, or rather not on on its own, but one which would fit in my large backpack with my camping gear. Then I would want to take it to a very remote place, such as the top of a mountain in the Cairngorms! Which was why I considered the conversion of a finder scope.

This:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Rucksacks-Extention-Pockets-Backpack/dp/B076PL1D56/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1537997351&sr=8-1&keywords=sabre+60+-+100

Is my rucksack, ( but mine is black, ) which is huge and can be further expanded, never mind lots of attachment points. ?

I already have  a half decent monocular and half decent binoculars, but they are neither very versatile. Maybe I should just stick with what I have...

Edit: I have just looked again at the 72ED, which comes with a case, interesting. Just how big is the case though?

The SW72ED & SW80ED or TS72mm, as mentioned above by @Stu. For something that is compact, then the TS72mm ticks the box for me.

I reckon that if you purchase either OTA, and a photo ballhead mount similar to mine, then you will have the perfect combo/rig made in heaven for viewing the heavens which will be perfect for those grab 'n' go moments at home as well.

Just for comparison, my TeleVue Ranger is... 

• focal length - 480mm
  • objective - 70mm
  • focal ratio - f/6.8
  • focuser - 1.25" helical
  • useful min/max magnification - 9x to 140x
  • weight - 1.7kg    

Because imagers don't absolutely need aperture there are now lots of small refractors on the market, as you've seen. I have an old WOZS66 which would easily go in a backpack. You have lots of options. I'd stick to refractors, though. Reflectors don't like being shaken about.

Being on top of a mountain isn't necessarily the best idea, by the way, because it can lift you up above the surrounding ridges so you look down on all the light pollution around you. The dark site at which I live is located in a kind of crater, the 'rim' of which cuts off the light from towns forty miles or so away.

Olly

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Even my OMC140 is small enough to go on board a plane, same as a C6 SCT.

The budget airlines are making it more challenging to take an OTA on board as cabin luggage, unless you bribe them by buying their "Speedy/Deluxe/Early" boarding options. It may have to fit in a bag under the seat in front of you, where you would naturally wish to place your feet ?. This space envelope, particularly for window seats, is challenging, but I believe do-able, with the 127mm Mak., but not with additional mount and tripod.

However, no problem for other modes of transport.

Geoff

22 hours ago, Stu said:

One adavantage of the TS72mm is the sliding dewshield which reduces its length for transportation to about 310mm, and it weighs about 2.2kg.

Now that sounds good, but as I will not be even close to getting that sanctioned before next summer, I suspect there could be a problem or two by then... ?

I wasn't being entirely literal with the thought of a mountain top, just near one maybe. I would also add that there are places in the Cairngorms that do not have light pollution as a problem anywhere near. Better yet the Cuillin hills, or many other south facing elevations, hear there and everywhere. ?

18 hours ago, Geoff Lister said:

The budget airlines are making it more challenging to take an OTA on board as cabin luggage, unless you bribe them by buying their "Speedy/Deluxe/Early" boarding options. It may have to fit in a bag under the seat in front of you, where you would naturally wish to place your feet ?. This space envelope, particularly for window seats, is challenging, but I believe do-able, with the 127mm Mak., but not with additional mount and tripod.

However, no problem for other modes of transport.

Geoff

I am not going to get into airport/airline/handling agent politics. No budget/charter/commercial/national airline has ever made a profit from just bums on seats, i.e. passengers with very little or no carry-on baggage.   

Archived