Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

lukebl

The Tardis Observatory gets a refurb

Some of you might recall my Tardis Observatory. It was my first construction job on moving to my new home 3½ years ago, even though rebuilding the leaky roof and crumbling chimney stack were probably more pressing requirements.

Anyway, the Tardis has never been quite right. It leaked everywhere and the doors never shut properly. So I've just done a big refurbishment: Thoroughly sealed the roof with black bitumen paint, double-glazed and sealed the windows, sealed all the gaps in the timber, repainted it and re-hung the doors, and put a black DPC skirt around the base to conceal the wheels. We had a fair bit of heavy rain last week, and it was bone dry inside for the first time since it was built. The lighting was all corroded due to the damp, so I've replaced all the lighting. Even the blue 'Police Box' panels on the side and the flashing lamp on the top all now light up!

Here's the result. I know the finials on the corners are't really authentic, but I think they look nice, and they help keep out the damp. As you see, it's quite near the house and the west and north-west views are blocked, but south and east are good.

44881393042_3ce3c087b4_k.jpg

31058041858_b2c9cd056b_k.jpg

In action:

43118552690_f1428daae3_o.gif

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

I think it looks great! 

Have you had to erm .... upgrade  gender too? 

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Have you had to erm .... upgrade  gender too? 

No immediate plans for that type of upgrade!

That is truly amazing. I would love one of those. Hats off- you must be very proud and I expect it's surprisingly spacious inside too.

• Haha 1

I do recall seeing at the time you built it :)  And it's looking very smart now.

James

That is by far the coolest observatory ever!! And with the scope you are kinda sorta dealing with all that timey wimey stuff too! ?

Wow I did not expect it to house a big scope ... Must be bigger on the inside

• Haha 4

But of course!  Everyone knows a Tardis is bigger on the inside ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That’s great. Wasn’t expecting an actual tardis Thought you just meant it was bigger than it looked. ?

• Haha 1

It is good to see one of the builds still up and running and being upgraded a few years later.
That just makes it even better, I still want one myself as I did when you built yours.

Amazing. You can see my Tardis Obsy from space! Here's the latest Google image, clearly showing it and its shadow indicating that the picture was taken at about 12:30.

43778381980_6ec0ce9b9a_h.jpg

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 3

Yeah - the only time my daughter cleaned the car was recorded on G.E. too!  ?

• Haha 1