SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Tardis Observatory gets a refurb

lukebl

Some of you might recall my Tardis Observatory. It was my first construction job on moving to my new home 3½ years ago, even though rebuilding the leaky roof and crumbling chimney stack were probably more pressing requirements.

Anyway, the Tardis has never been quite right. It leaked everywhere and the doors never shut properly. So I've just done a big refurbishment: Thoroughly sealed the roof with black bitumen paint, double-glazed and sealed the windows, sealed all the gaps in the timber, repainted it and re-hung the doors, and put a black DPC skirt around the base to conceal the wheels. We had a fair bit of heavy rain last week, and it was bone dry inside for the first time since it was built. The lighting was all corroded due to the damp, so I've replaced all the lighting. Even the blue 'Police Box' panels on the side and the flashing lamp on the top all now light up!

Here's the result. I know the finials on the corners are't really authentic, but I think they look nice, and they help keep out the damp. As you see, it's quite near the house and the west and north-west views are blocked, but south and east are good.

44881393042_3ce3c087b4_k.jpg

31058041858_b2c9cd056b_k.jpg

In action:

43118552690_f1428daae3_o.gif

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Amazing. You can see my Tardis Obsy from space! Here's the latest Google image, clearly showing it and its shadow indicating that the picture was taken at about 12:30.

43778381980_6ec0ce9b9a_h.jpg

Archived