SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Science in Astronomy Now

16 minutes ago, Keith Cooper said:

I've just seen this thread, and thought that I ought to reply.

First, I should apologise to anyone who sent me an email about a mistake in the magazine who I didn't reply to. I try to respond to everyone when I can, but sometimes life and work gets in the way and so I'm not able to find time to respond to everybody.

I am greatly disappointed that I seem to have made factual mistakes in the magazine, and I look back on my own performance in that particular October issue and it wasn't the best. In my defence I was moving house and all the stress that comes with that, as well as dealing with various deadlines, editing, writing etc. However, that is certainly not an excuse because there shouldn't be big mistakes in the magazine - certainly not for the price magazines cost these days – but I just wanted to explain why I ended up making errors in that issue. I'm certainly embarrassed by my mistakes such that I've redoubled my efforts to do my best to make sure it doesn't happen again. 

Clearly, my answer to that question about black holes was gibberish and I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking when I wrote it. I seem to have confused myself about the different frames of reference.

I welcome correspondence and critique from any reader about anything they've seen in the magazine and I'm happy to stand corrected if I've messed up. I'll be at AstroFest Friday afternoon and all Saturday, so if any SGL members are attending and would like to come and chat with me about it, I'd be more than happy to talk to you.

Kind regards,

Keith Cooper

As the OP I would like to welcome this post from Keith.  

I wish Astronomy Now well and I must say the answers in the latest edition were of a different league. 

I for my part accept Keith's apology. 

Regards Andrew

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Keith Cooper said:

I've just seen this thread, and thought that I ought to reply.

First, I should apologise to anyone who sent me an email about a mistake in the magazine who I didn't reply to. I try to respond to everyone when I can, but sometimes life and work gets in the way and so I'm not able to find time to respond to everybody.

I am greatly disappointed that I seem to have made factual mistakes in the magazine, and I look back on my own performance in that particular October issue and it wasn't the best. In my defence I was moving house and all the stress that comes with that, as well as dealing with various deadlines, editing, writing etc. However, that is certainly not an excuse because there shouldn't be big mistakes in the magazine - certainly not for the price magazines cost these days – but I just wanted to explain why I ended up making errors in that issue. I'm certainly embarrassed by my mistakes such that I've redoubled my efforts to do my best to make sure it doesn't happen again. 

Clearly, my answer to that question about black holes was gibberish and I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking when I wrote it. I seem to have confused myself about the different frames of reference.

I welcome correspondence and critique from any reader about anything they've seen in the magazine and I'm happy to stand corrected if I've messed up. I'll be at AstroFest Friday afternoon and all Saturday, so if any SGL members are attending and would like to come and chat with me about it, I'd be more than happy to talk to you.

Kind regards,

Keith Cooper

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

As the OP I would like to welcome this post from Keith.  

I wish Astronomy Now well and I must say the answers in the latest edition were of a different league. 

I for my part accept Keith's apology. 

Regards Andrew

Two very gentlemanly posts. What a pleasure to be in such good company.

Olly

3 hours ago, Keith Cooper said:

As a fellow magazine editor you have my sympathies! Not an excuse but a fair reason!

Archived