Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZGTI stiff

TSRobot

My azgti is fab for most things including my first time solar tracking today.

However when I move the mount manually the azimuth (left right) is always stiff. I have the black screw completely in done.

Not sure what to try without returning it or dismantling it a bit.

9 hours ago, TSRobot said:

My azgti is fab for most things including my first time solar tracking today.

However when I move the mount manually the azimuth (left right) is always stiff. I have the black screw completely in done.

Not sure what to try without returning it or dismantling it a bit.

I had exactly the same problem so I sent it back for warranty repair, after 2 months it came back exactly the same, so I pulled it apart and found the problem and fixed it.

Refer to page 20 my post 486 and read on.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/586532-new-skywatcher-az-gti-goto-wifi-mount/page-20

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seen all the pictures now of how to strip down the azgti and possibly fix it but that'll void my guarantee for sure. Probs have to return it then. Have to email FLO about that. 

Do they all have the stiffness in manual azimuth movement?

After many attempts I've made a thin washer from a yoghurt pot. This has fixed it brilliantly. Now it rotates in azimuth smoothly 360 degrees as it always should have done so manual use is perfect. Without the washer no matter how I reassembled it it still has a stiff spot. 

Been tracking the sun to test it. No problems so far ?

20180928_105944.jpg

Edited by TSRobot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, axle01 said:

Nice work mate, I found the problem was the grub screws.

Al

Me too. All nicely adjusted till I tighten the grubs(for the umpth) time then back to the stiffness each time. Haven't any locktite so thought I'd try some more grease and a washer. All smooth now and more adjustable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/09/2018 at 00:39, axle01 said:

I had exactly the same problem so I sent it back for warranty repair, after 2 months it came back exactly the same, so I pulled it apart and found the problem and fixed it.

Refer to page 20 my post 486 and read on.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/586532-new-skywatcher-az-gti-goto-wifi-mount/page-20

Hi - Don't know if it's just me (or my browser), but the AZ-GTi stripdown photos you posted over on CN aren't visible.  Any chance you can repost them here or elsewhere?   Also, I didn't quite understand the addition of a washer to the AZ clutch mech that's referred to above - was that part of the solution you provided?   It's the AZ axis that I'm having problems with - on a brand new mount!   Any help advice you can offer would be much appreciated.  Skywatcher are not my favourite brand at the minute, I'm also having problems with a Star Discovery mount, but that repair is in hand.

Edited by BlabyStarGazer

Hi. Just looked at the CN link and the pictures were there. Those are the pictures and instructions I used to dismantle my azgti. The plastic washer is still working well. My picture is a bit blurry I'm afraid but the washer (cut out with scissors) was so simple to do and I had nothing to lose.

Make sure you have a full set of Allen keys and plenty of time.

• 9 months later...

Hi. I have the same azimuth stifness problem with my new AZ-GTi.

I have carefully read the posts by axle01 and TSRobot (thank you!). So please let me just check whether I have gotten your point correctly or not. As far as I understand from your posts, the problem is not that the grub screws in the locking ring are too tight, but rather that the locking ring itself is pressed too hard onto the dark element below... So that the plastic washer made by TSRobot is effective in making the friction between the locking ring and the dark element below less stiff... Am I correct?

Thanks, Daniel

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just a refresh on this thread. I had binding issues mainly with my azimuth axis was free on a quarter of the mount then the rest binding when turned. So followed these instructions and a video on YouTube to fit a plastic washer out of a margerine tub lid and greased it up with some white lithium grease. When doing the grub screws back up you have to be careful as tightening to much binds the axis so getting the balance is key. Tested and it rotates using the app and so much more free movement.  Whilst I was about it I undid the locking ring on the alt axis as this was stiff but not binding and greased this with white lithium grease also. Now both axis are moving so much better can can push with one finger.  Whilst fitting the washer I check the meshing of the azimuth axis motor and this was fixed and not working with the spring so left this as was, the alt axis was working on the spring so left as is. If any issues I'll make the spring work on the azimuth axis. It left the factory like this so maybe the fixed mesh on the azi works well as my goto was/is great. Just waiting on clear skies to test it out. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

Quick update... After testing the mount for tracking last night on M81&82 I found that tightening the ra/azimuth clutch finger tight caused star trailing and having it just bite the clutch gave no star trailing. So I'll open the mount again and adjust the spring tension on the azimuth motor so the spring activates against the worm and not fixed like before, I'll also undo the grubs on the locking ring ever so slightly then I'll be able to nip up the azimuth clutch a bit more, as I think this is where 95% of the binding comes from. But so far so good I think. 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1