SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Adaptive Digital Pixel Binning

furrysocks2

I've managed to integrate ADPB into SharpCap by modifying the captured frame immediately before preview.

The routine itself is C++ compiled as a .DLL and I have a SharpCap script loading on startup to implement the dialog seen below. This image is one of the test camera images set to MONO8, with ADPB binning ratio (Rb) set to 5x. 

1641925882_sharpcapadpb.gif.7560119d0de48c64894ff794439a56cb.gif

I really don't know if it's of any great benefit for video astronomy or astro images in general, nor do I have a reliable set up (or time, or experience) to try it out much. I will admit that I have not actually spent more than a couple of nights imaging anything other than the moon, so my experience is pretty well nil.

Would giving this a try be of interest to anyone?

That's really exciting -- I'll check it out tonight if the weather holds to see what happens.

I think it could be quite useful -- thanks for building!

I've just had a look through the code and posts but I've not used SharpCap scripting before. If you have a step-by-step of how to drop it in that may be helpful...

Otherwise I'll see how I get on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi -- so I've been trying to get this to work but I'm afraid I'll need more help.

You'll have to give me the idiots guide to this. I've discovered I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I thought I'd be able to figure it out but I've not looked at coding in about 20 years and the level I can handle now is pretty much copy and paste, and that's about it. Despite some attempts to figure it out, your conversation with Robin on the SharpCap forum is beyond me. Sorry!

Can you paste the code block for the dll file here, and tell me where to save it.

Also -- can you paste the python code for the SharpCap scripting. I presume then I can copy and paste the python script into SharpCap,.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, London_David said:

Hi -- so I've been trying to get this to work but I'm afraid I'll need more help.

You'll have to give me the idiots guide to this. I've discovered I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I thought I'd be able to figure it out but I've not looked at coding in about 20 years and the level I can handle now is pretty much copy and paste, and that's about it. Despite some attempts to figure it out, your conversation with Robin on the SharpCap forum is beyond me. Sorry!

Can you paste the code block for the dll file here, and tell me where to save it.

Also -- can you paste the python code for the SharpCap scripting. I presume then I can copy and paste the python script into SharpCap,.

Thanks!

No worries.

I would, but I'm afraid that my laptop has just this last hour died... keyboard kinda half worked but not enough to put in my password. Now won't power on. Sorry!

I don't know how useful it is to be honest, compared with a simple histogram stretch for example.

Laptop is most definitely dead. What a pain! I might buy a cheaper model of the same, and swap in my processor etc. Sorry I didn't get copies of the files to you sooner.

Archived