SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planets nice and steady, get out there!

Dave1

5 hours ago, Erla said:

I was watching rain.. Not a single session this autumn yet. I accidentally checked the weather in London a couple of days ago and got exited, but then I noticed the mistake, and yeah, autumn storms. Had a good run in summer though. Found a nice dark site I can get in under an hour, so got a bunch of Messier under my belt. Mars was still a dust ball though, and then clouds rolled in. Got really unlucky with it this year.

Most unfortunate, just have to keep your chin up! Until the last two observing sessions I was starting to become slightly annoyed as the transparency and boiling was terrible down here, the planets were a dancing mess. 

Dave

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

It was clear earlier Paul. I was out until about 10.00 - sorry you missed it.

I also found that Saturn was good. Sharp with detail on the disc etc. However, as I’ve noticed before this doesn’t seem to translate over to Mars which was its usual mushy self. I don’t really understand this as they are in a similar part of the sky, unless the dust storm is still having an effect.

I didn’t  pay much attention to any moons though - I will next time?

Ah yes, well this is my first serious season of planetary observation. It took me awhile to get all my kit together, and this is the first planet season where I've more or less got out every chance I can get. Regular practice is definitely helping me. 

Mars showed me some decent Albedo last night above the south polar cap. Should of Sketched it, I later checked what I saw on Mars via SkySafari, matched up pretty well. 

@chiltonstar, because of the lay of the land here, and were the planets are currently in there orbits, I have to wait for Mars to be placed in a certain place in the Sky, so I view both Saturn and Mars in the same area of sky, I just have view Mars later in the night. Which is an advantage as Mars is higher in the Sky, the approach to due south and after it has gone south.

Dave

I noticed that on Mars last night. There seemed to be two dark areas or bands running roughly parallel from e to W across the lower part of the S hemisphere. I found this image taken by Neil / Stub Mandrel on Monday night I think. This shows the two darker "bands" of terrain more or less as I was seeing them last night (I have flipped E and W to get the refractor view):

841244354_2018-09-24-1922_1_pipp_saturn_g4_ap18_Drizzle15astra2.png.62945783f7a350400e066981f999f4d3.png

It seems that others were doing better than me on Mars last night. One possible factor is that it was just over the roof of the house opposite. After a warm day this could have been affecting the seeing. Next time I will wait until it clear the house e- but it will be lower ?

6 hours ago, John said:

I noticed that on Mars last night. There seemed to be two dark areas or bands running roughly parallel from e to W across the lower part of the S hemisphere. I found this image taken by Neil / Stub Mandrel on Monday night I think. This shows the two darker "bands" of terrain more or less as I was seeing them last night (I have flipped E and W to get the refractor view):

841244354_2018-09-24-1922_1_pipp_saturn_g4_ap18_Drizzle15astra2.png.62945783f7a350400e066981f999f4d3.png

Your explanation matches what I saw last night as well John, the photo from Stub Mandrel is pretty realistic to what I saw last night at the eyepiece. 

Archived