Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Follow this topic Photo Problem with our EQ8 Pro Mount

AldrinBGabuya

Posted Yesterday, 10:50 PM

Good day, everyone!

I'm addressing this problem with our Skywatcher EQ8 Pro Mount in which we put on our 16-inch Meade LX850 Schimdt-Cassegrain telescope, Celestron guidescope package above, and SBIG STT-8300MM CCD imaging camera in our observatory based in Abu Dhabi, UAE.

We hear some loud ticking sounds during telescope tracking which bring stars trailing across the field of view. It happened in several non-consecutive occasions (like few days or weeks apart from its occurrence) but has been more evident at this time. The loud ticking sounds only happen when the telescope points towards the western sky, particularly starting from 30 (sometimes even 45) degrees descending. No noises were heard when it is pointing towards the eastern sky.

I also hypothesized there could be an imbalance between the counterweights and telescope along the RA axis, gear problems or could be any other causes.

Herewith attached are images of the entire telescope set-up and Youtube videos (links below) showing the problem for further understanding.

Please share your thoughts regarding this matter. It will be a great help and see how we can resolve this issue. Thank you very much! Clear skies!

https://youtu.be/72Dd1nUBI4k

https://youtu.be/iqr2IUFa_v8

P_20180921_222752.jpg

P_20180921_222801.jpg

P_20180921_222916.jpg

Any tracking graphs ?

Or have you tried rebalancing it yet ?

Looking at the video and seeing the lack of tracking I would guess at worm engagement problems shown up by imbalance. Can you manually steer it past that point with the clutch disengaged ?

Are the cables limiting the slew or becoming taught?. Tie them up so they don't drag and ensure their length. I can't tell from the picture. 

Sometimes the handset cable gets wrapped tight around the head after a slew from east to west and this will stop it in its tracks. RE-route the handset cable and power cable to join the other cable bundle over the top of the mount. 

Are the clutches too loose ? Bow easily does it move when they are engaged ?

Edited by skybadger
Brevity

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I bought the same mount, I found I had to cycle through both the Dec and RA in both directions, the clicking noise may be the belt teeth not meshing properly, I must confess I am a little surprised that this mount is so problematic when you consider the cost, I cycled the DEC and RA in both directions a couple of times and the clicking stopped, however I have found another more concerning issue, I ran the Guide assistant in PHD2, I am getting a DEC backlash that is unbelievable, values ranging from 15000 ms to 17500 ms, this was my last attempt:

image.png.60fbb7cf9b410ff644bed5c15f7c886b.png

This is my set up so I should not be getting these problems:

image.thumb.jpeg.e2a283022f7223150b4e124e9728d1b8.jpeg

I am not sure where your problem lies but for the cost of this mount I am a little surprised, my mount has already been replaced once and I have the same issue, I would be intrigued to know if you get the same backlash issue.

I would appreciate it if you could let me know.

Dave

Hi That is defiantly the belts i had the same sound.

Try cycling through DEC and RA with the clutch disengaged, you will need to go around in both directions a couple of times.

It cleared for me.

However then I discovered the enormous backlash variation.

I am not sure what I will do now as this is the second mount with a very high backlash.

Dave

On 10/04/2022 at 16:11, Arizawilliams said:

Hi,

I bought the same mount, I found I had to cycle through both the Dec and RA in both directions, the clicking noise may be the belt teeth not meshing properly, I must confess I am a little surprised that this mount is so problematic when you consider the cost, I cycled the DEC and RA in both directions a couple of times and the clicking stopped, however I have found another more concerning issue, I ran the Guide assistant in PHD2, I am getting a DEC backlash that is unbelievable, values ranging from 15000 ms to 17500 ms, this was my last attempt:

image.png.60fbb7cf9b410ff644bed5c15f7c886b.png

This is my set up so I should not be getting these problems:

image.thumb.jpeg.e2a283022f7223150b4e124e9728d1b8.jpeg

I am not sure where your problem lies but for the cost of this mount I am a little surprised, my mount has already been replaced once and I have the same issue, I would be intrigued to know if you get the same backlash issue.

I would appreciate it if you could let me know.

Dave

If you factor in the polar mis- alignment @ 1.7 arc mins reduce that down far more than it is then your Dec reading will be far better

What size threaded bar are you using on the rat cage?