SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon Through ASI183MM and 3,5nm HA Filter

The-MathMog

A couple of days ago, I just received my new camera, the "ZWO ASI183MM Pro", so these days I am testing it extensively to get my grasp at this new way of imaging. I've been using a DSLR from the beginning after all. And most of the software I was using was only installed on my laptop.

The problem right now is, that the laptop I normally use for astrophotography, had its motherboard burn out like a week ago, so right now I have to use my desktop pc, which incidentally means that I have to use my balcony = No Zenith + No Eastern, Northern or Western Horizon visible..... So the amount of targets are limited, while testing the HA filter.

So, I did a few "video" (about 1fps at full resolution, as I currently only have a long enough USB 2 cable) shots of the moon, with the Baader 3.5nm filter in place too ( was too lazy for now to remove it), just to see what I would get, and the result looked surprisingly good. Can anyone comment on what benefits and downsides one would get shooting the moon through that filter? Is it simply "wasting good light"? ;)

Nevertheless here is the final stacked image.
About 72 stacked frames.
Skywatcher 150-PDS
Celestron AVX Mount
ZWO ASI183MM Pro
Baader 3.5nm HA filter.

Back to trying to shoot the HA nebulaes.. The Eagle Nebula has yielded some good results so far, considering that it is a bit more challenging getting a proper polar align as of right now, as I am not too experienced with drift aligning.

Full-Moon-Mono-Test-23-09-2.jpg

The Moon is always an attractive target for a camera.
The full size Image of your work here is very nice indeed.
Your camera will serve you well on deep sky targets too, couple with the scope
you use. Get the guiding sorted, and good  processing, you'll be turning out some
Fantastic stuff from your pristine Danish Skies.
Look forward to your early results.
In the meantime, well done on the Moon shot. :icon_salut:

Narrow band filters actually help a lot when shooting the Moon. Color is not that important with lunar shots, so leaving it in B&W or doing a slightly warmer tone is quite acceptable.

Thing with seeing is that it affects different wavelengths of light differently, and as a consequence it creates blur. When doing narrow band imaging of the moon, filtering out single wavelength creates more like shimmer effect of seeing rather than blur. Stacking software copes with this kind of distortion much better. This can be seen in any telescope by visual inspection with NB filter in place. It particularly helps views with achromatic scopes (sharpens the image significantly if scope has good correction in that part of spectrum).

Different wavelengths of light are bent by atmosphere by different amount, blue the most, red the least, but resolution of telescope works the other way around. So OIII filter might be good in stable seeing to create sharpest possible image, Halpha is good in somewhat poorer seeing, but it will lower maximum detail captured. Good compromise is Baader Solar Continuum filter - which works in green and is almost narrow band (10nm-ish, centered around 540nm), it is less affected by atmosphere than blue part of spectrum, while still keeping better resolution at scope than red part.

Btw, forgot to say, good image, and another tip - use smaller FOV, you will be able to get better frame rate, even over USB2.0 - there is a lot of "space" around the moon that does not need to get transferred over link each frame.

Archived