Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
stepping beyond

A chance to practice for Mars

Florence came and went and didn't take the humidity or heat away with her but, I wanted to see how to approach this planet since I missed opposition in July. It's not pretty and I could use some of those pointers fellas , I've got another week before the humidity drops off and it'll be time to go collecting data . I've not shot Mars with this ASI174MM cooled and definitely not using a efw. LRGB  2000 each channel. A lil' oversaturated to bring out both polar caps.

color Mars -2  8-19-18 ASI 174MM cooled.jpg

color Mars 8-19-18 ASI 174MM cooled.jpg

Edited by stepping beyond
  • Like 1

I've not tried imaging Mars yet myself as it doesn't clear my next door neighbours tree. But that's a very nice image that I'd be happy with 

Thank you for saying that , I shot it with a used spc900nc a couple years ago at opposition and another OSC Levenhuk but, this cmos is pretty awesome ! I know what you mean about waiting for it to clear trees . I live in a" TREE " city  with old oak hardwoods everywhere , with limited FOV . I image what's in my FOV holes , learning how to get it done as I get more imaging time . I wish you luck on your planetary adventure.

This is what I'm talking about found the key to AS 3.1  to bring out the polar caps. I oversaturated to bring out the polar caps , yes North and South caps. It's not pretty but, it's a test in the muggy  buggy southern heat and humidity.

color mars 1.3.jpg

• Like 2