SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Milky Way in Snowdonia - basic help

finch45

Hi All, 

Total beginner here. I'm planning on doing some star gazing and even catching a glimpse of the milky way for the first time (hopefully).

I've decided on driving to Snowdonia during the next new moon phase. I'm concerned about driving conditions and roads. Where's the best place to park in snowdonia and access during the dark night hours? I'm not too keen on trekking for hours in the middle of the night, this sounds dangerous, so if anyone has a full address with post code that is easily accessible in snowdonia for a bit of star gazing, it would be much appreciated! :)

or maybe an easily accessible hotel involving a short walk to see the starry sky?

The Go-Stargazing website is a good resource for identifying locations for observing and for finding out if there are any stargazing events in a particular location. 

Here's a suggestion for a site on the southern flanks of Snowdon, at Rhyd Ddu.

https://gostargazing.co.uk/events/locations/llyn-y-dywarchen/

I've not tried there myself - the people I know in that area tend to go to Penmon or Lligwy on Anglesey.

Hope this helps. Can't advise about accommodation though. 

Welcome from land down under

How far away is Snowdonia from home, and assume is in Europe somewhere

Was 1000kms west of where I live recently, and beautiful views of Milky Way, as no light pollution  in any direction

Nearest town was 400kms in any direction

John 

Archived