sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Anyone bringing a laptop with Firewire to SGL SP2018?

At Kelling Heath's Astroboot this year I took a bit of a punt on a Firewire  DMK41 camera that someone was selling cheap.  It was very much sold as seen as I had no means of testing it, so it was a bit of a gamble.  Anyway, I ordered a cheap Firewire PCI card from EBay and I've tried to plug in the camera and the computer doesn't recognise it being connected.  I suspect the camera is a lemon and my gamble hasn't paid off (ah well, you win some, you lose some).  However, there is an outside chance the problem is with the new PCI card I've bought, so it seem be sensible to just check the camera is definitely duff before just putting the whole thing down to experience. 

So, is anyone coming to SGL SP 2018 bringing a laptop with a Firewire socket?  If yes, would it be possible for me to check that whether or not the camera is duff?

Thanks

Edited by michaelmorris
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bottletopburly said:

Why not pop into curry’s/pc world see if they can help 

I don't want to buy a laptop with Firewire. I just need to load up the firewire drivers for  the camera I have to check if the camera works.  I can't imagine Currys will let me use one of their laptops to download drivers and an image acquisition off the internet on to one of their laptops off the internet!

Edited by michaelmorris
4 hours ago, cjdawson said:

Hey Dawson my man, da word on da street is theys is a like pile of stinky ya know. Theys is like well duff init.

(decided that we need to appeal to a younger audience)

Edited by michaelmorris
  • Haha 1

Does your Firewire card have a large (normal USB-sized, ish) socket, or a much smaller one?

My laptop has a Firewire socket, but it's only the smaller one and won't work with my Firewire DMK because it doesn't supply power, unlike the larger socket I have in my desktop machine.

I've thought a few  times about making a Firewire power injector so I can get the camera working on the laptop.

James

6 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

I just need to load up the firewire drivers for  the camera I have to check if the camera works. 

Bottletopburley's suggestion might be a long shot, but if you went in boldly, or just act as daft as a brush and ask them if this camera, that was donated to you, will work on a laptop, and let them find out for you.
Its just got to detect the device, and if it does, so far so good, and no doubt it will ask/report that you update the drivers. Not sure if their laptops connect to the internet, but you'll know if the device is infact alive!

Edited by Charic
12 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

Hey Dawson my man, da word on da street is theys is a like pile of stinky ya know. Theys is like well duff init.

(decided that we need to appeal to a younger audience)

Surely it's worth a punt less that £1.50.    I'd have bought my old MacBook Pro with my, however it gave up the ghost a few weeks ago.  Doesn't boot and I'm not sure why.   It's also way out of warranty so don't think Apple will help without spending megabucks.

13 minutes ago, cjdawson said:

Surely it's worth a punt less that £1.50.    I'd have bought my old MacBook Pro with my, however it gave up the ghost a few weeks ago.  Doesn't boot and I'm not sure why.   It's also way out of warranty so don't think Apple will help without spending megabucks.

Will it boot off a DVD or USB stick at all?  Doesn't need to be MacOS I don't think.  Windows or Linux would probably work just as well to test.

James

54 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Will it boot off a DVD or USB stick at all?  Doesn't need to be MacOS I don't think.  Windows or Linux would probably work just as well to test.

James

nope, the battery charges but it simply won't power up.   Might have another play with this this week and see if I can get some life out of it.    Might even give apple a call.  i've tried resetting the SMC, however that doesn't seem to have worked.

Michael I'm pretty sure I have a Firewire DMK camera knocking around - happy to bring it along and then you can see if that works with your card which would at least narrow down the fault to card or camera?

Thanks for the offer Grant.  Unfortunately, the computer in question is a desktop PC, so I won't be able to bring it to SGL (Don't want to risk it with the somewhat agricultural suspension on our motorhome.)

• 4 weeks later...