I cannot get an adjustable buck converter (DC-DC) to work - very frustrated!

choochoo_baloo

Following recommendations on my recent post; 

I bought three generic trim pot adjustable buck converters off of fleabay however none of them show a varying output voltage despite multiple rotations of the cheese head screw on the trim pot.

• I read online that occasionally these trimpots are faulty, so desoldered and replaced with hald decent spare pots and no change.
  • Given the IC functioning I thought maybe it needs a load to function correctly. So I then hooked up a LED but the brightness is constant (photo of circuit below)

To save my sanity and smashing them up, please can someone advise why the ******* things are not adjusting their output voltage - what am I doing wrong? Surely all three can't be faulty?!

buck1.thumb.jpg.0137227330376e75d4dbb960d9104974.jpg

buck2.thumb.jpg.dd45c8af545c9193fecffd982c4f8d7e.jpg

Be aware that when those multi-turn pots reach the end of their travel the screw can continue to be turned. Try turning it in the opposite direction.

I have used a lot of these. They don't need a load to run at the set voltage. I would suggest removing your LED for the time being and just hooking up your DMM.
Another thought: are you sure that the ones you have aren't a fixed output voltage and the pot is there simply to set a current limit, rather than to control the output voltage?

I’ve used a few of these for various applications and they did take a large number of turns to see any voltage drop on my meter. Maybe 20 or so

if you replaced the pots, are they definitely the same value? I’d be tempted to put the old ones back on there. 

I've bought several batches of these and never had a problem but it is possible you have a bad batch.  I've also bought a few batches of Arduino Nanos and did get a bad batch of those once, so a bad batch is possible.

Thanks all for the advice. Yes it was a matter of the trim pot needing a huge number of turns to get a sizeable voltage drop across the output - I actually used an electric drill to wind it out!

For reference: they are a worm+wheel design thus explaining the ~30 turns needed to get at least half way across the resistance track.

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. ?

That can be the problem with new bits and not being familiar with them but once you’ve gotten familiar with it no problem.

John

Exactly - I understand the electronics/physics of the device, so seeing all components well soldered etc and seeing the 0.7V dropout from teh timer chip made it even more frustrating why it would not adjust!

As you say, a relief when it's something basic eh John.

Overthinking the problem is in itself a problem. ?

Reminds of the old television repairman story ( yes once upon a time they used to repair TVs in your home) who spent an hour at the customers house and couldn’t understand why it wasn’t powering up no matter what he did. Then someone pointed out that it wasn’t plugged in.  ?

• 2 weeks later...

hi...you can remove your LED for the time being and just hooking up your DMM.Are you sure that the ones you have aren't a fixed output voltage and the pot is there simply to set a current limit, rather than to control the output voltage?

Archived