Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Almost 50 years ago...

Chriske

48 minutes ago, johninderby said:

How about a Milenium Falcon coffee table? Where else do you put a large scale MF?  ?

1F394774-C66B-4530-9B1F-FC3D813AA0CD.jpeg

?

My brother has two glass cabinets with a full set of all the original star wars figures, including ones from when he was a kid. He's short one tiny piece from his Millennium Falcon. One year his workmates bought him an At-At for his birthday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lenscap said:

Brilliant job Criske.

I was lucky enough to visit the Johnson Space Center in Houston in the 80's.

They had a Saturn V laid out horizontally with the stages seperated so you could see the internal workings. (Maybe they still do)

Having been a kid in the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo era I thought I knew everything about the Saturn V but nothing prepares you for how ENORMOUS it actually is.

Went to the Kennedy space center twice, your right, it was huge, was impressed by most everything they had there and will go again if I get the chance :)

Rick M

12 hours ago, Chriske said:

Ok I'll reveal the 'secret'.
This is the beginning of a new project.
I'm busy  printing a 1:60 scale model of (indeed) a Saturn V rocket.
Height of that system : 2.4 meter - 8' ,  that is if I also print the gantry.
Rocket alone ; 1.95meter - 6.9'

image.jpeg.dec490ead1869e49a0f7d5ef8edf73f6.jpeg

That is a big challenge!

Nice quality prints, I'm currently  printing PETG and it's taken a fair bit of tuning to get decent results!

Would it be stronger/easier to print the rest of the motor  in one piece with the nozzle - I'm thinking if these end up being used as 'feet' for the model.

Oh no, these thrust chambers/nozzle extension are not good at all(for me that is). These first parts were just a tests and were printed way to fast. (I was eager to see how they'd look like..:tongue2:)
And what's more a few of them(2 on the left) were done with a 0.7nozzle and also printed to fast.
I will lower speed now and start printing that thing.

I will use both Neil, and maybe even a 1mm nozzle.
All depends on what part it is. Don't think I will print the LEM with a 1mm nozzle...:wink2:
Look at this example the same little boat(I'm sure you know that on)
The one on the left 0.4mm nozzle took me almost 2 hours. The one on the right 1.0mm nozzle, took me about 16minutes.
In that last one all detail is almost vanished.

image.thumb.jpeg.43b3079a94fff19db1c36faf3934182c.jpeg

But hey look, when printing a very large part  with (in this case .7 mm nozzle) suddenly that part is OK. The layers are very thick, but they are very smooth, even (almost) nice.
In the past I made a few assemblies, combined parts printed with .4 and .7mm nozzles. The spectators didn't noticed it. Only when I mentioned the nozzle diameter, they actually saw it.
That large part in the background btw (250x50x70mm - 10"x2"x3"), only took me just a little bit longer to print compared with that little boat on the left.

image.thumb.jpeg.7350fd1e7c287dbd683713d49e2c01a1.jpeg

16 minutes ago, kbrown said:

Is this your own design or something downloadable?

This the second time I downloaded something from the net.
I make a point of it never to do that. (I hate copying) In this case(Saturn V) it would be silly to draw something this large that has been done before.
The first thing I ever downloaded from the net is in fact that little boat, higher up in this thread. I 'needed' to do that because it is use by many people all over the net to compare quality of prints.
The rest I posted so far on SGL is all own design  (sometimes re-design).

• Like 1

Small nozzles do give good results but can take an age to print.

Here’s a T-Rex skull that took me about 11 hours to print.  ?  Have the files for the rest of the skeleton but hate to think how long it would take to print.

C528206A-2FB9-4C3C-911C-A7E95AA131B1.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Chriske said:

Oh no, these thrust chambers/nozzle extension are not good at all(for me that is). These first parts were just a tests and were printed way to fast. (I was eager to see how they'd look like..:tongue2:)
And what's more a few of them(2 on the left) were done with a 0.7nozzle and also printed to fast.
I will lower speed now and start printing that thing.

I thought they were well below your usual standard Chris.

9 hours ago, johninderby said:

Here’s a T-Rex skull that took me about 11 hours to print.  ?  Have the files for the rest of the skeleton but hate to think how long it would take to print.

The Ultimaker T-rex? I went for about 18" long.

Writing a book about 3D printing was great - playing with toy dinosaurs and breaking things apart and calling it work ?

DSCN9012.JPG

• 9 months later...

This project I discontinued a while ago.
It was a Thingiverse file I was working with. As I started to print this 'ThingiThing' I realised that there were to many parts. To many parts to just show SaturnV.
I read there were about two thousand of hours printing time involved...!...😳  That's were I abandoned the idea and started to work on my own version of SaturnV.
Instead two thousand of hours printing time, I'm able to draw/print that thing in about 2 days. The only difference is the perimeters of my version do have thicker layers(due to that 1.5mm nozzle). But when I look at the perimeters now, it doesn't bother me at all. The layers are thicker compared to a 'regular' nozzle, but at the same time the layers are very smooth. No issues, stringing or whatever. You can see it in my new SaturnV thread.
Again, that 1.5mm nozzle setup does it's job very well, I'm very pleased with it.

Thinking of SKULLS: I did casually wonder if you could obtain
scintillating (UV fluorescing) material for use in 3D printing... 😎

Scint.jpg.2ee160172f84a3f12f907a6135a2386e.jpg

Randomly reading articles on *doped* plastic... Conductive plastics...
(Metal (i.e. Copper Oxide) loaded plastic for denser Ukulele strings!)
But I suspect you'd have to worry about blocking your nozzle etc. 🤔

Edited by Macavity

Glow in the dark filament is readily available. Have tied the metal loaded filaments but not impressed. Yes they are sort of metallic but just look like dull metal coloured plastic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GO-3D-Changing-Printing-Filament-1-75mm/dp/B01ETVNWXW/ref=asc_df_B01ETVNWXW/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310830238305&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18428931315522454827&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046417&hvtargid=pla-498630763337&psc=1

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1