SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Almost 50 years ago...

Chriske

Ok I'll reveal the 'secret'.
This is the beginning of a new project.
I'm busy  printing a 1:60 scale model of (indeed) a Saturn V rocket.
Height of that system : 2.4 meter - 8' ,  that is if I also print the gantry.
Rocket alone ; 1.95meter - 6.9'

image.jpeg.dec490ead1869e49a0f7d5ef8edf73f6.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant job Criske.

I was lucky enough to visit the Johnson Space Center in Houston in the 80's.

They had a Saturn V laid out horizontally with the stages seperated so you could see the internal workings. (Maybe they still do)

Having been a kid in the Mercury/Gemini/Apollo era I thought I knew everything about the Saturn V but nothing prepares you for how ENORMOUS it actually is.

• Like 2

The  plan is to have this rocket ready to be the eye-catcher during our open door Sept next year.
I'll start with a 'shell', see how far I get. Meaning there is a complete rocket, only it will be completely empty.
And now the ambitious part : If there is enough time left I'll do a second one, but part of the shell, half maybe three quarters. That cutaway rocket will have all internal objects on board, so the visitors can see what's inside.
If I can find enough candidates to help with their own printer I'll ask them to print the gantry. An impressive part that would take most of the printingtime.

• Like 1