SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another Good Lunar Night

iPeace

Let's see...in the north, Anaximander D and Babbage are dark, ragged potholes compared with the neatly-placed craters in Iridum's cape, seemingly still flowing off to the north and west. Promontorium Laplace, Iridum's eastern tip, is casting a cheeky shadow into the bay.

The Aristarchus Plateau is all sorts of fun, starting with craters Nielsen to the north and Herodotus A to the south, each with a long ridge perfectly attached to make them look like garden snails leaving their trails as they make their way to the plateau.

The lighting is just perfect for examining the plateau, showing the dramatic differences in altitude I can't really see on my digital Moon maps. The path of Schröter's Valley makes perfect sense when seen like this, while Mons Herodotus and its two neighbours are starkly lit, fronting the Agricola Mountains.

Flamsteed T is clearly showing the altitude of its eastern and western rims while casting a shadow to the west; further down, at the end of the badlands along the terminator, Schickard looks like someone came along and took a bite out of the cheese.

Lovely report Mike :thumbright:

Pretty much clouded out here tonight but I did catch some glimpses of the heavens with the TV Ranger and caught just a few of the sights you mention above on the Moon.

The description of Schickard is great - it really did look as if some celestial shark had taken a mouthful from the terminator !

Schroters Valley did actually look as if it was coming "downhill" from a highland area - interesting lighting :smiley:

Archived