Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

200p Dobsonian In the Wind.

Hi Guys, 

I was having great difficulty in preventing the wind from spinning my 200p Dobsonian off target.

Firstly I tried a little rubber wedge between the base and turntable, this worked at first but fell out.

I was about to call on you guys then had an Idea...      I fixed a theaded bolt and a T nut through the turntable with a little rubber to add friction to the base plate.  The result has been great. A quarter turn with fingers and it does not move.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was their fix.

IMG_20180921_162625.jpg

Hi Beachbumz,

I have a 200p also! Do you not have a lock nut and washer which goes through both the baseplate and the turntable? Tightening this bolt should prevent the spinning? 

Try it it might help! 

( I'm a newbie i haven't tried this yet it's just a suggestion?

Yes and that is how I plan to fix it if I ever get round to it. I would suggest a much longer bolt (e.g. threaded studding) plus some brackets on the side board. Then one can avoid bending over to tighten/release.

The other option would be a woodworking quick release clamp just to nip the base and upper plates together. No holes or permanent damage.

3 hours ago, BeachBumz said:

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was their fix.

Not me. My scope has been smooth since the day I assembled it.
A simple adjustment to the original centre bolt should have fixed your issue.
Locking and unlocking  with your mod just reminds me of the reason I  swapped from an early EQ mount to a Dobsonian for its simplicity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2018 at 18:45, IanL said:

Yes and that is how I plan to fix it if I ever get round to it. I would suggest a much longer bolt (e.g. threaded studding) plus some brackets on the side board. Then one can avoid bending over to tighten/release.

The other option would be a woodworking quick release clamp just to nip the base and upper plates together. No holes or permanent damage.

No need for a longer bolt as I have aslo made a stand to lift the whole unit as my back was too delicate for the bending lol

Archived