Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Man

Swoop1

Sky at Night review the upcoming film ahead of the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11.

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/news/review-first-man-moon-apollo-movie?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=SKAN&utm_campaign=Newsletter 20%2F09_116400_Sky at Night_Newsletters

I think it has just made it to my 'Must See' list.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to admire Armstrong's calm and coolness during the lunar descent.  The Landers  fuel was damn near depleted, as he searched for a suitable site to put it down. The safe ascent back to the command module depended on Landers angle of tilt being within tight limits. Neil Armstrong was renowned for his capabilities in stressful situations, which helped a lot in   selecting him for  the landing task.           I watched it on TV, and my nerves were wrecked believe me. I must have lost half a stone in sweat.?

1 minute ago, barkis said:

We have to admire Armstrong's calm and coolness during the lunar descent.  The Landers  fuel was damn near depleted, as he searched for a suitable site to put it down. The safe ascent back to the command module depended on Landers angle of tilt being within tight limits. Neil Armstrong was renowned for his capabilities in stressful situations, which helped a lot in   selecting him for  the landing task.           I watched it on TV, and my nerves were wrecked believe me. I must have lost half a stone in sweat.?

Sure was the right man being a seasoned test pilot and having quite a few hairy moments flying in Vietnam which probably made the Apollo 11 descent a walk in the park for him

Not been to the cinema for years, in all honesty I get really annoyed with people talking, kicking the back of your chair and forever causing chaos by either needing the loo every 20 minutes or going to buy drinks ect. When I heard about 'First Man' I decided it was a good opportunity to visit the cinema again (as I'm sure it would attract a more refined audience lol) and give the wife a treat of a lifetime (I'm kind like that).

Checked online to book tickets at my nearest cinema and discovered the iMAX tickets are £16.50 each ?. By the time I've paid for tickets (my daughter no doubt would tag along), brought something to eat and drink and paid train fare, I'd say goodbye to the best part of £90. Think I might just buy the DVD, a years subscription to S@N magazine and a new monocular instead ?

My daughters fiance will undoubtedly by this as he is a movie junkie so I will borrow it then, If he dosent wind up marrying my daughter he likely will be moving on short a few dvd's ?

On 22/09/2018 at 14:16, bish said:

I saw  it advertised for the first time yesterday. Will have to see it at the pictures.

Ive only seen it advertised in the last couple of days. It does look good, but then again movie trailers have a habit of showing you the best bits and the movie is rubbish (I'm thinking of Gravity).

7 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Ive only seen it advertised in the last couple of days. It does look good, but then again movie trailers have a habit of showing you the best bits and the movie is rubbish (I'm thinking of Gravity).

That is true. I generally check on IMDB just to see if people think a film is total pants.

15 minutes ago, bish said:

I'm surprised you haven't seen it already based on your previous avatar. I liked Deadpool but haven't seen the second one yet either.

I dont go to the cinema much now. I used IMDB+Deadpool as an example, to see how well the ratings work.

Its a good indication. Everyone is different, but IMDB works on averages.............

Cant argue with averages.

Any movie on SYFY scores about 4-5. No wonder i never watch SYFY. Cheap remakes of Hollywood blockbusters.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched it yesterday in IMAX.

Well, it's an interesting movie. Very much about the relationship between husband and wife and less about the events.
Unfortunately it is ruined by the scourge of modern cinematography....the zoomed-in, wobbly, out-of-focus shot. Just about every shot is tight in so the centre of focus is an ear or a nostril hair. The camera constantly wobbles and moves. Focus is all over the place. No, this does not make it personal or give it a feeling of "being there" (quite the opposite)...it gives it a feeling of being shot by a drunk amateur with early onset Parkinson's. It constantly takes you out of the film and at times disassociates you completely. At times, for instance during the Gemini crisis, it was impossible to look at the screen (I sat about in Row D, four back from the screen so the IMAX screen it filled my vision). This nonsense was just about acceptable in the Blair Witch project or in bad YouTube videos. Every single shot, until a handful on the Lunar surface became tedious and predictable...zoom in, pull focus in and out, wobble, wobble, wobble.

The Gemini 8 crisis was massively over-egged, but I put that down to artistic licence. The film also does a dis-service to Scott when

it shows him blacking out and not responding to Armstrong's requests. This did not happen.

The scenes on the Lunar surface were beautiful, and I believe, were the only ones shot in 70mm IMAX. I was delighted to see them getting some important touches correct, such as the motion of the regolith in the Lunar vacuum (no billowing dust!)

Gosling was OK....he was able to express his full emotional repertoire of mahogany to teak. I'm sure that only Keanu Reeves has ever managed to challenge Gosling for the ability to get people to pay him huge sums of money to act with the emotional nuances of hardwood. ?

The film was shot on three different film stocks. The grainiest was reserved for Armstrong's memories. The next best was shot for the bulk of the film (again in dreadful wobble-vision). The Lunar surface scenes were shot in 70mm IMAX and were beautiful. I would have loved to see much more of this.

There's a good film in there somewhere, but it needs to be reshot with camera operators that have more than one single technique in their kitbag and that have a tripod or two. A Martin Scorsese film it is not.

Overall, it's a swing and a miss. Chazelle and his cinematographer Linus Sandgren were totally out of his depth with this one. It's such a shame as the story won't be re-told again and this doesn't do it justice.

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Useful review.

How did you do that spoiler-proof thing?

If I told you I'd have to kill you and eat you....?

It's done like this:

place the text that you want to hide between the HTML "spoiler" tags, like this:

(open square bracket)SPOILER(Close square bracket)

your text

(open square bracket)/SPOILER(Close square bracket)

I caught the flick in Imax yesterday, in my humble opinion it's an ok movie but in regards to the title and the significance of the subject matter it severely lacks the importance of the time in history in which the events occure. Another down side is the lack of a flag planting scene, this being left out I feel was a disservice to the astronauts being represented so in good faith I will include the missing footage in a link below. 

Exceptional film making on every level.  The tone, direction and narrow focus on the man in the plan was inspired from Chazelle.  I think the choice of Gosling was the key component of success.  His ability to humanise the mythological Armstrong proved that he is an actor of the highest caliber, unequaled among his peers.  Much like the movies protagonist.

As for Foy.  She is sensational as Janet Armstrong and I believe the best actress of our time.  

Like all military folk, I know what it is like to leave loved ones behind to step into the void, often on a journey from which you may never return.  That dedication to duty and single minded (often selfish) approach to the mission.  As an amateur astronomer and space exploration advocate, I thought the telling of this amazing feat was pure brilliance.

The director, cast, and all else involved in this sublime piece of film making should receive the highest recognition from their industry.

I saw it last night and agree that it is a fine film. I think many people are expecting more of the moon landing. The film isn't about the event. It is about the man and Gosling did a great job portraying Armstrong.

Archived