Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW130PDS or SW MAK 127 goto?

After months of research and advice I was just about ready to purchase a SW 130pds with AZ4 mount,  basically to get me started visually with basic dslr photography and hopefully at some point to re use the scope on heq5 for AP. However for some bizarre reason I am now doubting that decision and considering the SW Mak 127 goto mount to get started. Now I know the mak is a different beast completely but it seems good value with goto, 2 eyepieces and a barlow. Both i think are good scopes so any advice greatfully received and I do appreciate there are pros and cons to both. Do I stick or twist as a starting point into astronomy??

I would say the 130mm Newt is a bit more of an all-round scope, as it handles planets well, and can give decent wide-ish field views of larger DSOs. The Mak is more restricted to planets and smaller DSOs (which the Newt also handles well). The Mak may well have a slight edge on planets, and tends to hold collimation better, but it is not a wide-field instrument by any stretch. So if you really want to go for planets and the moon, the Mak is more likely to be the best choice, whereas if you want a more general-purpose scope, the Newt has the edge

If it's for getting started visually I think the 130 reflector is a better prospect, it's cheaper and more flexible in what it can do.

I can't comment on photography pros and cons, I know nothing about that side of things!

39 minutes ago, Extreme007 said:

After months of research and advice I was just about ready to purchase a SW 130pds with AZ4 mount,  basically to get me started visually with basic dslr photography and hopefully at some point to re use the scope on heq5 for AP. However for some bizarre reason I am now doubting that decision and considering the SW Mak 127 goto mount to get started. Now I know the mak is a different beast completely but it seems good value with goto, 2 eyepieces and a barlow. Both i think are good scopes so any advice greatfully received and I do appreciate there are pros and cons to both. Do I stick or twist as a starting point into astronomy??

Get the 130PDS you will get a better FOV with it and its a great imaging scope should you want to dabble further down the line. 

When I go they will have to pull my 130PDS out of my cold dead fingers. I use it on my HEQ5pro.

The SW Mak 127 is a scope for planets. 

Just to be sure this is not a 130PDS its a 130PS

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-gti.html

This is a 130PDS

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-ota.html

I just ask because I was not aware of anyone packaging the 130PDS with a AZ4 mount. 

13 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Get the 130PDS you will get a better FOV with it and its a great imaging scope should you want to dabble further down the line. 

When I go they will have to pull my 130PDS out of my cold dead fingers. I use it on my HEQ5pro.

The SW Mak 127 is a scope for planets. 

Just to be sure this is not a 130PDS its a 130PS

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/sky-watcher-explorer-130ps-az-gti.html

This is a 130PDS

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p-ds-ota.html

I just ask because I was not aware of anyone packaging the 130PDS with a AZ4 mount. 

Thanks for the advice. You've just confirmed my original reason around flexibility for wanting the 130pds. I only chose the az4 for ease initially without dabbling into and eq mount straight away.

33 minutes ago, Paz said:

If it's for getting started visually I think the 130 reflector is a better prospect, it's cheaper and more flexible in what it can do.

I can't comment on photography pros and cons, I know nothing about that side of things!

Thanks paz. Confirmed my original reasons. Clearly just cold feet!

39 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I would say the 130mm Newt is a bit more of an all-round scope, as it handles planets well, and can give decent wide-ish field views of larger DSOs. The Mak is more restricted to planets and smaller DSOs (which the Newt also handles well). The Mak may well have a slight edge on planets, and tends to hold collimation better, but it is not a wide-field instrument by any stretch. So if you really want to go for planets and the moon, the Mak is more likely to be the best choice, whereas if you want a more general-purpose scope, the Newt has the edge

Thanks Michael.  Sounds like my initial research and choice was correct for what I need. Why I got cold feet I have no idea? thanks for your advice. Given me some sanity back 

Archived