Narrowband

I made a mistake !

Hi all , i bought a 250p flex tube dob (sky-watcher) whilst what i really wanted was a small  wide view refractor .

Well , i was swayed by aperture and i very soon regretted my purchase . Don't get me wrong , the dob is a fantastic scope and i got some brilliant views from it . So, whats my problem ? 

Unfortunately the sheer size of this scope in a very small house makes it a problem . I have since purchased my small refractor WO Z73 and an eq5 tripod/mount so im really happy . I'm not sure how to put an ad on here , as i need to sell the Dob . Can anyone advise me please . 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do what you've just done but post it to the 'For Sale' forum?

You'll need to say how much you want, and what the arrangements will be regarding postage/collection (large dobs are normally collection only ? )   Add a picture if possible.

Sit back and wait to be messaged ?

Is that what you wanted?

Ady 

2 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

Do what you've just done but post it to the 'For Sale' forum?

You'll need to say how much you want, and what the arrangements will be regarding postage/collection (large dobs are normally collection only ? )   Add a picture if possible.

Sit back and wait to be messaged ?

Is that what you wanted?

Ady 

thanks Ady 

Yeah, anything after 8” does start to become in the large and cumbersome department. So, with saying that I’m willing to get the offending article/scope out of your way for £50, and that’s inclusive of fuel and time to come down and collect it too! ;) 

Just kidding! (Or am I? ? ) Hope you enjoy the new right sized scope! Quite a few people succumb to the same problem. Sometimes less is more! :) 

24 minutes ago, RiponJas said:

Did the same. Same scope as well. Only just sold it the other week. ? 

Yes - a medium/large Dob is perhaps not a good idea as a first or only 'scope.  But as part of stable of 'scopes, they're indispensable (if you have the storage space!)

Doug.

1 minute ago, cloudsweeper said:

Yes - a medium/large Dob is perhaps not a good idea as a first or only 'scope.  But as part of stable of 'scopes, they're indispensable (if you have the storage space!)

Doug.

Due to space constraints I did need to sell the dob.. Space permitting I probably would of kept it. Just got 3 fracs and 2 small reflectors taking up the space ?

8 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi all , i bought a 250p flex tube dob (sky-watcher) whilst what i really wanted was a small  wide view refractor .

Well , i was swayed by aperture and i very soon regretted my purchase . Don't get me wrong , the dob is a fantastic scope and i got some brilliant views from it . So, whats my problem ? 

Unfortunately the sheer size of this scope in a very small house makes it a problem . I have since purchased my small refractor WO Z73 and an eq5 tripod/mount so im really happy . I'm not sure how to put an ad on here , as i need to sell the Dob . Can anyone advise me please . 

You could also try to sell it on astronomy buy sell site.

14 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

At least the flex tube folds down to some extent.  When I got a solid tube Dob, I had to then buy a shed to accommodate the thing.

Good luck with the sale!

Doug.

Yeah , I was thinking about a shed . This astronomy is getting more and more expensive. I initially had a £500budget , now up to £1500 . At least a shed would solve the space problem .

11 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

It's yours mate - I couldn't afford the petrol!  ?

OP - glad you like the Z73 - lovely wide field, and not too fast.

Doug.

Damn , I was hoping you two would keep bidding lol , the z73 is a fantastic buy .. I should have stuck to refractors in the first place ! 

49 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Yeah , I was thinking about a shed . This astronomy is getting more and more expensive. I initially had a £500budget , now up to £1500 . At least a shed would solve the space problem .

Tell me about it - four years in, spent a packet, still have a long "wants" list!

38 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Hi , thanks for all the feedback , I’m currently in negotiations with my wife regarding keeping the dob ... they are at an early stage and I’m having as much success as Theresa May in a room full of EU delegates ! 

DO try and keep the Dob - it complements the frac nicely and increases your range of viewing pleasure. 

Negotiations - try offering your wife something for the house.  Good luck!

Doug.

My 8" flextube Dob Sits behind the door in our porch if that's any help as a place to investigate.  I hope you find a place to keep it - I bet it gives lovely views, but I have to say I am glad I decided to stop at 8" when I read about the problems that people have.

3 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Tell me about it - four years in, spent a packet, still have a long "wants" list!

DO try and keep the Dob - it complements the frac nicely and increases your range of viewing pleasure. 

Negotiations - try offering your wife something for the house.  Good luck!

Doug.

Doug i'm going to submit your words as evidence , i will let you know how i get on lol

57 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

OK then - an Ethos 13, Nagler 31, Panoptic 41, ES 24/82, Evostar 120ED, and a dedicated solar 'scope.  Plus a bigger tablet for Sky Safari.  And a few more books, and....

? PWOOOF  ?- just woken up! 

Doug.

Good job you woke up Doug, or I could see a second mortgage been arranged to finance the above! ;) 

I keep my 8" Dob in the back corner of the entry coat closet.  Other than taking up some shoe/boot space at the bottom, it's hardly noticeable once the coats are pulled in front of it.

I keep my 15" Dob at the back of the deep closet under the stairs.  Since that space has little headroom, it's not missed all that much.  The fracs, Mak, and eyepieces sit on and around it.  They don't impact the space at the front of the closet for coats and shoes/boots.

Archived