Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

R26 oldtimer

I knew this would be a mistake...

I was quite happy as a visual observer. Then I got myself a cheap analogue camera to venture into eaa. Faint fuzzies quickly became very interesting. So far, so good.

Now, I also have an old Nikon D50 laying around for some moon snaps at prime focus with my Bresser 127L, and a couple of nights ago while observing omega nebula, I thought: why not?

Out goes the eyepiece, in goes the Dslr. Rough focusing and I took 25 30sec shots. Two nights ago I stacked them (14 out of 25) and started playing in PS with levels, curves and noise reduction filters.

I know now why this is so addictive, and as I said "I knew this would be a mistake..."

2m17.tif

3m17.tif

2m17.thumb.jpg.6987474b10ce0925d690bfe20dc5af53.jpg3m17.thumb.jpg.4088ba2d6cba06efa73f82c4f167b5df.jpg

Edited by R26 oldtimer
images added
  • Like 11
  • Haha 3

Uh oh! I can see your bank account starting to reduce down already! Hehe! ;) 

• Haha 1

Now you gone and done it!!!😧    welcome to the Dark Art😄

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ant said:

Ha ha ha  you are in trouble :)

I don't think so. My wife was very excited as she witnessed the stretching of the picture where the nebulocity "magically" appeared out of nowhere.

I'm sure she's going to be just as excited when a Heq5 will appear out of nowhere too!

What? Won't she??

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I don't think so. My wife was very excited as she witnessed the stretching of the picture where the nebulocity "magically" appeared out of nowhere.

I'm sure she's going to be just as excited when a Heq5 will appear out of nowhere too!

What? Won't she??

Damn youhaveit bad lol

Do not under any circumstances let her work out the price per image that you get from your kit. Thats when the trouble starts :)

ant

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's not a mistake, it's inevitable. What is out there is too gorgeous to ignore.

Olly

• Like 2

After several impulse buys, including an azeq5 mount, and an unmodified canon 600D, last weekend I gave a shot at the rosette nebula. Actually I gave it 110x30 sec shots with my ed80, although I think I should have gone for 60 or 90 sec subs. Here are two versions slight and heavily processed. Any feedback is welcomed.

sequator copy2.jpg

sequator copy1.jpg

• Like 3

On 20/09/2018 at 18:43, R26 oldtimer said:

What? Won't she??

Just tell her you're having a mid-life crisis, and it was either this or a high-powered motorbike. 😀

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Ahhh, I already enjoy my aprilia tuono, even for a couple of trackdays per month...🤟

Oh well, you can't use that one then.  I'm in a similar dilemma with my CBR1100xx Super Blackbird.  😀

• Like 1

Looks like you've either not taken darks, or you've over stretched the image so much that with the nebula, the noise too has been stretched. Also, take flats and bias frames. They will vastly improve the image.

We loose a lot of good visual observer's this way, first they tinker in eaa then its on to the hard stuff and before you know it their off spending thousands of dollars on the stuff and eventually discover photographers are only as good as their next image but buy then its too late 😉

Edited by SIDO
  • Like 1

Scary stuff..... says the visual only chap.

As mid life crisis go, imaging the heavens is pretty innocuous stuff. Your wife is a very lucky lady. 

Good luck with your journey to the dark side. We will miss you.

I’ll get back to the observing section now.

Paul

PS. I’ve just acquired an EQ Mount..... But I know that I’ll always be Dob at heart.

• Like 1