Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with HEQ5 syntrek

Moonshane

Hi all. Through no fault of the seller I have not really got the mount I thought I was getting. I should have read more but now know that I don't have a goto scope unless I connect to a laptop which I don't wish to do.

I think the only other option is to buy a Skyscan handset? Does anyone please have any advice on which one I need to get and what if any additional cables I will need? I am in a world of the unknown at the minute. I have no interest in imaging.

I can use it as a heavy duty tracking mount for now if course which is actually my main objective.

Cheers

Shane

Is it the full GOTO capablities you are after Shane? There are 2 handset options with the HEQ5 - The full GOTO synscan EQ handset is one https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-synscan-v4-handset.html and then there is the older tracking only handset which gives basic slewing/tracking rates etc..

Cable is this one https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/sky-watcher-heq5-pro-synscan-handset-cable.html

The Syntrek should come with the basic handset.

I think you would need a V4 handset and this cable

https://grovers.biz/optics/handset-controllers-cables/1405-sky-watcher-heq5-eq5-eq3-synscan-handset-cable.html

But you could buy https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-synscan-wifi-adapter.html one of these and use your phone to direct it with Sky safari 5 plus or later.

I use a ethernet cable for mine as the cable I got with it the tab was broken and kept slipping out as they have the same connections I tried a couple and one worked one did not. The one I have has a lot more wires of different colours than the one that did not work.

That just looks like a standard cat 5 ( or cat5e which they nearly all are nowadays ) cable.

But be aware some cheap ones only have 4 wires connected rather than all 8. 

Cheap as chips to either buy or to make your own.

13 minutes ago, Kev M said:

That just looks like a standard cat 5 ( or cat5e which they nearly all are nowadays ) cable.

But be aware some cheap ones only have 4 wires connected rather than all 8. 

Cheap as chips to either buy or to make your own.

It is with the all 8 the one with 4 in does not work.

I've had a think and will buy a used handset I reckon. Hopefully a v4 but based on the above comments a v3 would be just as good for me. As for the goto function I am mainly interested in Messier and NGC targets as well as double stars so I am assuming the databases will give me plenty to go at. The more obscure stuff (and probably many of the NGCs won't be visible in my garden anyway!).

9 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I've had a think and will buy a used handset I reckon. Hopefully a v4 but based on the above comments a v3 would be just as good for me. As for the goto function I am mainly interested in Messier and NGC targets as well as double stars so I am assuming the databases will give me plenty to go at. The more obscure stuff (and probably many of the NGCs won't be visible in my garden anyway!).

There is a V3 for sale on AstroBoot £77 thats what I use on the EQ5 and the databases are huge I have not run out of stuff yet. Has IC catalog as well as the SAO double star catalog you would have endless objects to go for.

cheers Paul et al. I think I have secured a v4 which has apparently never been fitted for £100 delivered. I have found a cat6 ethernet cable which will hopefully be fine.

the only downside is that the handset will be my crimbo pressie so I cannot use it until then!

Just a heads up for choosing the correct type of ethernet cables, as there are both "straight" and "cross over" types to be found. I can only speak for my HEQ5 Pro, wich needs a straight one, but I guess most mounts are alike. If using the wrong type, you may see smoke signals from the handset and/or mount.

Ragnar

Archived