Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I want to connect my telescope to my DSLR

Hello there!

I am almost a noob to telescopes, but in the past weeks I have been watching Mars, Neptune, Saturn etc. But absolutely no look with any galaxy or cluster.

And guess what, I LOVE IT!

I own a Celeston Nexstar 4SE and a Nikon 3100 but I have no idea what I need to buy to connect them. Something like a T adaptor or I dont know... please help!

Also, I would love to use some filters and a wifi for my AUX so I can use the app on my phone. So it woul be great to help with those aswell. I know that my telescope is not very good with nebulas and stuff like that, but I guess it can still take some decent shots of them right?

Follow Davey-T's equipment suggestions and connect it all up in the daytime and try to focus on a distant object.  I suggest using the live view mode for critical focusing because the focusing screen and the imaging chip aren't usually at exactly the same distance from the lens.  Once you've take a few practice pics and verified you've got it figured out, try imaging the moon first.  Your mount only tracks in alt-az, so you'll have to stick to short exposures and stack and derotate them later.  After you feel confident with the moon, move on to the brighter planets.  Check out the imaging groups here on SGL for more knowledgeable support.

This is what I use with my D3200

1628595038_D3200withTringandadaptor.jpg.0de0d44383bf04359b62d80b468dfe2e.jpg

It works with most of my OTAs, although some require a x2 Barlow to achieve focus. Celestron make a dedicated adaptor for the Nexstar, replacing the T-to-1.25" adaptor. You will probably need to move the OTA slightly further forwards in the dovetail clamp, to compensate for the extra weight at the back.

Geoff

Archived