Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Grumpy Martian

Celestron AVX Mount.

Recommended Posts

I am saving to buy a Celestron AVX mount. As prior to any purchase, research has to be carried out. I would like to ask users of this mount how they get on with it. Are there important modifications that should be carried out. Any quirk to be aware of. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An heq5 pro is better in some respects! There is a lot of stiction with the AVX, especially in the RA axis so balancing can be a bit hit and miss. The hand controller is good - it keeps the settings (eg time etc.) and the star alignment / polar alignment functions are useful. PC interface is via the hand controller (I seem to recall I had to buy a cable separately). No eqmod for it, though, but that's not really a problem. The mount has encoders so the home position is fixed and marked with white lines. The Lat bolts are good quality - much better than the heq5. The tripod is solid. You may only get one counterweight with it. Unlike the heq5, there's no belt mod as far as I know.

Can't think of anything else right now.
Hth

Louise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love my AVX and get on quite well with it. I didn't get on with the polar scope at all, some weird poses and contortions meant that polar alignment was a lengthy and often painful experience and have opted for QHY's polemaster instead of struggling. In terms of mods I upgraded to the ADM saddle and haven't regretted a penny on it, no marred dovetails :)

+1 to the balancing issue, that can be a nuisance but you get used to the feel of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a Celestron CG5 Goto (AVX Predecessor) , CGEM, HEQ5 Pro (Present) and a few EQ6 Pro's. I find the HEQ5 Pro quite a reliable mount, more so compared with an EQ6. I can say 'touch wood' I have never had a technical issue with the mount as yet. One thing it does not have is All Star Align which Celestron's do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problems with my AVX. No stiction issues when balancing any of my scopes, and so far working like a dream. Added a Celestron polar axis scope to it to help polar alignment better, and gets it pretty much spot on. Only issue I had with that was that I had to swap the two latitude bolts around as the longer handled one got in the way of the polar scope because of its larger handle. Other than that no probs at all. Very pleased with it. :) 

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

No problems with my AVX. No stiction issues when balancing any of my scopes, and so far working like a dream. Added a Celestron polar axis scope to it to help polar alignment better, and gets it pretty much spot on. Only issue I had with that was that I had to swap the two latitude bolts around as the longer handled one got in the way of the polar scope because of its larger handle. Other than that no probs at all. Very pleased with it. :) 

Gus's experience matches mine with this mount (visual only) in all respects. It carried my big 130mm F/9.2 triplet pretty well :smiley:

The polar scope is an optional extra I believe, or at least it was when I owned an AVX.

 

tmb02.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had really good luck with my AVX. All my photography is done with it. But I've taken particular care to stick under the rated weight limit, and a focal length of no more than about 900mm. For visual you can go above that, but for imaging, you'll find it's not precise enough (even with guiding) go do longer focal lengths or heaver imaging setups (above 20lbs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had this mount for 3years now, and really happy with it. For astrophotography i quite easily manage 300s light frames with my scope with focal length of 710mm. of course guided! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:49, Lead_weight said:

 I've taken particular care to stick under the rated weight limit, and a focal length of no more than about 900mm. For visual you can go above that, but for imaging, you'll find it's not precise enough (even with guiding) go do longer focal lengths or heaver imaging setups (above 20lbs).

You can get by with the AVX using a longer focal length, but you'll need good guiding to get decent results and will work harder to get them. I like my AVX a lot, and started out using an Edge HD 8 (2000mm F/L) with it. I've since bought a heavier mount to use for AP, and the AVX is primarily my visual mount now, although if I have the Edge set up on my EQ6R Pro and want to get a widefield shot without changing things around, I'll put my shorty refractor (478mm F/L) on the AVX and get great results.

The stiffness in the RA lies at least partly with the grease used. I disassembled my RA and Dec, cleaned all the grease out, and re-greased it with Lubriplate 130-A, and while it still doesn't spin like a ball bearing does, it is much 'looser' than before. The mount doesn't come with a polar alignment scope, and rather than get one later, I'd recommend saving for a Polemaster;  you'll get an easier and more accurate PA. The ASPA or 3-star/calibration star alignments do very well, or you can opt for Starsense.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 02:46, Luna-tic said:

You can get by with the AVX using a longer focal length, but you'll need good guiding to get decent results and will work harder to get them. I like my AVX a lot, and started out using an Edge HD 8 (2000mm F/L) with it. I've since bought a heavier mount to use for AP, and the AVX is primarily my visual mount now, although if I have the Edge set up on my EQ6R Pro and want to get a widefield shot without changing things around, I'll put my shorty refractor (478mm F/L) on the AVX and get great results.

The stiffness in the RA lies at least partly with the grease used. I disassembled my RA and Dec, cleaned all the grease out, and re-greased it with Lubriplate 130-A, and while it still doesn't spin like a ball bearing does, it is much 'looser' than before. The mount doesn't come with a polar alignment scope, and rather than get one later, I'd recommend saving for a Polemaster;  you'll get an easier and more accurate PA. The ASPA or 3-star/calibration star alignments do very well, or you can opt for Starsense.

Hi

Did you improve any DEC backlash problems? It's something I've always suffered from. Adjusting the motor hasn't cured it :(

Louise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.