Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 4565 - Coma Berenices

russ

This was just a quickie image to round of the night but ended up getting cut short, shorter than expected.

Only 7 x 1.5min images stacked. Same setup again, only I moved the focuser while trying to change the camera battery.....hence the bloated stars. :laugh:

There's a second galaxy there too, again, I haven't looked up it's classification yet.

NGC4565 is a beautiful galaxy, appearing as a very faint slit of light in the scope and just amazing when it appeared on the back of the camera. Will be revisiting this galaxy in the near future.

As with the other two, focus issue aside, i'm chuffed with this image.

image.jpg

Regards

Russ

Do you think the ST102 could get that Russ? it's a wonderfull looking gallaxy that Russ..

without a doubt matey :laugh: the only snag maybe image scale, the ED has twice the focal length. That image i posted has been cropped to remove the amp glow on the right hand side, so it actually appears smaller on the original. On the ST102 it will half as small again. How about the Skymax? Especially with a focal reducer to bring it back to f8 (1000mm).

Regards

Russ

That's stunning Russ. Great image and choice of target. I love these galaxy images, they capture the whole fascination of stargazing for me. Just seeing the smudge through the eye piece is pretty thought provoking when you think of the distances involved and the number of stars and solar systems being observed.

thats a great one Russ know how hard that is i have many galaxies , dont put them all up cus they are hard little devils , but you captured that one really well Russ. thinks i will turn to a few now the nebs are going away for a while ,

excellent job that Russ

Rog

Hi Russ, Lovely image mate!

Looks like a small M104. Nice dust lane - you must be happy with that one.

James, I tried imaging M51 the other night with the 80mm F11. Now it's probably a combination of both, but i couldn't get a thing on the 300D with 65 seconds (at 1600) but through the 8" got the galaxy in 15 seconds... So I'm not sure if it was due to the Slow scope (f11) or the small objective (80mm).

Ant

I agree with Alan, objective size shouldn't have been a problem. I can see M51 no probs in the Zenithstar 80. Could you see it visually Ant?

Also, was it last night? I went out last night but the sky was awful. High cloud which quickly bubbled up into nice thick cloud. I was intending to image M95/96 but couldn't even see them, but Skyscan plonked M95 smack in the middle of the chip. But even with a 1 min image @ 1600iso I could barely see it. So i gave up and went for M81/82 (post later). Just wondering whether the skies were just too poor for the 80.

Russ

The skies weren't too bad - about average (or slightly better). I will be posting the M51 image once I've taken the images off the camera and stacked them.

The images were taken saturday night.

Ant

Looks like a small M104.

Ant

Actually, 4565 appears LARGER than M104, but much thinner, so it looks small. NGC 4565 measures 14.9' x 2', while M104 is 8.6' x 4.2'. M104 isn't nearly as edge-on so presents more surface, while 4565 is flat. They're both ~50 million LY away.

Archived