Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 383L+ - The last hurrah

Uranium235

Sadly, this will be my last image with the Atik 383L+ which has served me faithfully and flawlessly for some time (now sold).

As for what the future holds, Im not sure as its going to be at least a couple of years before my situation improves - but I still have the ASI178MM Cool to use for now (big thanks to FLO), so Im hoping I can give that a really good run now that the nights are getting longer and colder and attempt to show what you can do with modest kit. It works pretty well with the Samyang 135mm, and is pretty good on the 130pds (although oversampled) on small targets....lol. at least there is absolutely no danger of overtesting the corrected field of either of those instruments.

So... here it is.. a Cephus widefield taking in the Bubble, Cave and the Wizard sneaking in towards the bottom.

25x240 (L) Samyang 135mm @f2 x2 panels

Plus some recycled Ha from the Star 71

Thanks for looking!  :)

42958804740_397bfc1b28_o.jpg

Thanks all :) 

For now it's just a change of methods, and short subs given the ASI 178 is CMOS. Though on an f2 lens, that shouldn't be a problem. 

There might be an opportunity tonight for a couple of hours - depending on whether my new powers cable arrives today, and what time I finish work this evening.

Also going to need a new Ha filter (1.25") at some point, since I've sold all my 2" NB filters as well.

3 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Thanks all :) 

For now it's just a change of methods, and short subs given the ASI 178 is CMOS. Though on an f2 lens, that shouldn't be a problem. 

There might be an opportunity tonight for a couple of hours - depending on whether my new powers cable arrives today, and what time I finish work this evening.

Also going to need a new Ha filter (1.25") at some point, since I've sold all my 2" NB filters as well.

Am assuming that you will need a high speed filter for imaging at F2 or you will experiance reduced transmission. 

3 hours ago, Adam J said:

Am assuming that you will need a high speed filter for imaging at F2 or you will experiance reduced transmission. 

The baader 7nm filters are OK at f2, there wasn't really any detectable problems at that speed. 

It would probably be a problem with a narrower bandpass, but 7nm works well enough for me. Besides, high speed filters are hideously expensive! :) 

19 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Actually,  it seems they're only 30 quid more... not bad. But would they be ok at slower speeds? (f5) 

Well as a portion of the light cone is always at a lower speed (you can stop the lens down after all) I would think that it has got to also work at slower speeds too.

Images on astrobin using it look very good.

Personally I would think you are not getting the full advantage of the f2 optics with the standard filter or they would not bother making a high speed filter.

4 hours ago, Adam J said:

Well as a portion of the light cone is always at a lower speed (you can stop the lens down after all) I would think that it has got to also work at slower speeds too.

Images on astrobin using it look very good.

Personally I would think you are not getting the full advantage of the f2 optics with the standard filter or they would not bother making a high speed filter.

I was thinking more along the lines of whether it would be alright on the 130pds @f5. There isnt really any point in stopping down the f2 lens becuase is performs so well wide open. 

1 hour ago, Uranium235 said:

I was thinking more along the lines of whether it would be alright on the 130pds @f5. There isnt really any point in stopping down the f2 lens becuase is performs so well wide open. 

Yes it will work fine with the 130pds at f5. My astrodon are also specified to work with faster optics than my 130pds, they still work with it. 

The 178 is overlooked due to its small area but it's a great chip no doubt better than the 183 everyone is buying size appart. I have a friend imaging with one and a ZS61 reduced to 280mm with great results. 

18 hours ago, Adam J said:

Yes it will work fine with the 130pds at f5. My astrodon are also specified to work with faster optics than my 130pds, they still work with it. 

The 178 is overlooked due to its small area but it's a great chip no doubt better than the 183 everyone is buying size appart. I have a friend imaging with one and a ZS61 reduced to 280mm with great results. 

Hmmm the 183 is the one I was considering getting when things improve - though I do have my heart set on the Atik 490 as the ideal match for short FL optics. But I doubt I would be buying a new one, trouble is I cant ever recall seeing one come up on the used market. Still, thats going to be about 18months down the line, so plenty of time to wait for the right moment.

So, I'll just keep on delivering those curries and save up the extra dosh (even though its making my car stink...lol). Though it is pretty tiring doing that on top of a full time job.

48 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Hmmm the 183 is the one I was considering getting when things improve - though I do have my heart set on the Atik 490 as the ideal match for short FL optics. But I doubt I would be buying a new one, trouble is I cant ever recall seeing one come up on the used market. Still, thats going to be about 18months down the line, so plenty of time to wait for the right moment.

So, I'll just keep on delivering those curries and save up the extra dosh (even though its making my car stink...lol). Though it is pretty tiring doing that on top of a full time job.

It's nothing wrong with the 183, I discounting size in my comparison.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I have been fortunate in never having had to run multiple jobs at the same time. Still it sounds like you are doing what it takes to get through it. Hope it works out as fast as possible. 

Archived