SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My First photo

Many thanks Rickwayne.. I actually have no experience with photography .. we bought the camera a couple of weeks ago and I just messed about with the settings a bit . But I’m really happy with the result . I actually bought a WO Z73 to use for the photography side .. I can’t wait to try it out . 

On 18/09/2018 at 21:51, Stu1smartcookie said:

So , after three weeks I’ve managed to take my first photo .. I know the moon is an easy target but it’s a good starting point . This was taken on a 10” dob with a canon 100D . I’m sure some experienced people on here can give me some advice . 

That's a great first shot.   Keep going!

On 18/09/2018 at 22:02, rickwayne said:

Besides "keep on with what you're doing", you mean?

Nice work here! Sharp, and only the very limb of the moon is blown out. I suppose you could obsess about that, but it actually makes for a nice tonal range.

OK, besides the "keep on with what you're doing".     Here goes

You didn't tell us what camera settings you used.   Was it automatic or manual?

If manual, I'd shorten the exposure a stop or two.  That'll sort out the blown out limb.

Next, take lots of shots.   I mean 100s.  Then run them through stacking software and you'll find that you should end up with a sharper image.

For the moon and planets, what people tend to do it make a movie with the highest FPS that you can get (shortens the time needed to make the film)  normally about 2000 frames. So it's only a few mins, then run that through a program like Registax.

This will have a couple of effects.... 1. lots of frames captured quickly.    2. saves your DSLR frame count

Wow thats awesome stu,shame my grandad is no longer round he was a photographer by trade and was once president of The Royal Photographic Society, he mixed with the echelons if society lol he even took Churchill's portrait,his camera knowlwedge was un real but alas did not rub off on me,keep going mate that shot of the moon is awesome.

Ive been having early starts at work and feeling rough lol so ive not been upto much,i also took my firstpic this week i just put my phone camera to the lense and wiggled it just a little bit lol and got a couple of images nothing special but just to show people what i can see through the scope.

20180917_195707.jpg

Hi Guys, sorry , i wasn't ignoring you . i was away this weekend ..fortunately it was raining at home ( thats how astronomy gets you .. you actually celebrate when you don't miss any clear nights lol) .. Great Pic with the phone Dave . Very interesting about your grandfathr too .  Im giving my z73 its first light tonight ...if... i can fix the new tracking motors on my eq5 .

And , i would say , Swoop ... i really am so happy that i rediscovered my enthusiasm for this hobby .. and this time im getting into photography as well . a real plus .

On 21/09/2018 at 16:47, cjdawson said:

That's a great first shot.   Keep going!

OK, besides the "keep on with what you're doing".     Here goes

You didn't tell us what camera settings you used.   Was it automatic or manual?

If manual, I'd shorten the exposure a stop or two.  That'll sort out the blown out limb.

Next, take lots of shots.   I mean 100s.  Then run them through stacking software and you'll find that you should end up with a sharper image.

For the moon and planets, what people tend to do it make a movie with the highest FPS that you can get (shortens the time needed to make the film)  normally about 2000 frames. So it's only a few mins, then run that through a program like Registax.

This will have a couple of effects.... 1. lots of frames captured quickly.    2. saves your DSLR frame count

Thanks for the advice ( I’ve only just seen your post ) the camera was on manual focus , and was a single shot . .. apart from that I really couldn’t tell you what the other settings were . I’m really keen to start taking photos with my other scope as the dob isn’t really designed for it . Half the “fun” is learning how to do stuff like this . And the rewards are amazing . 

Archived