SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from near the New Forest

mankind-nil

Hi all,

Just starting out in stargazing with my 10yo son ?

Got me a 130/900 Skywatcher Explorer off of the classifieds here, and saw Saturn's rings last night, which is exciting!  Was it a 'good' night for Saturn in the UK - or was it a bit low in the sky and close to the moon?

Anyways, greetings y'all!

Hi welcome to the forums, I'm from Wimborne, Dorset, the other side of the New Forest. Generally the planets this year are low, which means you will be looking through a lot of air, which degrades the image, and hides a lot of the detail. The transparency was pretty bad last night as well. Generally when the planets are 30 degree or above is the best time to observe them.

Dave

Hello and welcome to SGL.

Saw your post in my thread so thought I merge this into one. Danebury Hill wasn't on my radar actually so thanks for letting me know.

Anyway, congratulations on getting the 5" Newt and very glad to hear your first go at Saturn was an exciting one for you and your little one. 
Have you got a collimator to go with your scope? You will eventually need one if not as the mirror may shift over time, and need to have it re-aligned once in a while to keep objects focused.

For me to be honest, I haven't done much astronomy lately, let alone visit a club. My wife's absolutely lack of interest but yet insistent for her to tag along (after the new forest incident) is a pretty much a major restricting factor at this moment. At best I currently observe from a random corn field in North Baddeley when I go over to the in-law.

Theres always hope for better opportunities and views when the winter nights arrive for both of us. ?

Thanks for the welcome everyone, and thoughts about planets being low down.  Also, yes I noticed some haziness around the moon even though there were no clouds - so maybe the transparency was bad as you say.

@Jonk We were on Danebury Hill near Stockbridge.  Seemed like it would be a good spot to me, although I have a reasonably light setup so it wasn't too difficult to haul the kit a couple of hundred metres up the hill from the car park. https://goo.gl/maps/g8Pwo7RPaGw

@Panda AlvinHaha, yes, my other half came as well and sat on the bench - and I think we would have stayed out a bit later if she wasn't starting to get cold and tutting about how late it was for a school night...! ? Feel free to let me know if you're going out in North Baddesley and want company, it's only the next village for me.

Welcome from land down under

Great when younger members of family involved

Couple of nights ago, my 6yo grandson phoned me

He said, Poppy, Poppy, check out the moon, bright star beside it

Told him, that was not a star

He responded back

Then poppy, has to be Jupiter then

He was correct

Last Saturday club belong to did public viewing night, foreshore Goldcoast

Had Venus, Jupiter, Saturn and Mars overhead

End of the night, played around with filters on Mars, and when used #8, light yellow filter, and 12mm eyepiece, able to see icecaps on Mars

16 hours ago, mankind-nil said:

Feel free to let me know if you're going out in North Baddesley and want company, it's only the next village for me.

Sure thing, likewise if you somehow came over my way.  Annoyingly the corns field in N Bads are near their maximum height at the moment. The tripod needs to be fully extended to maximise view, but your son may struggle to see.

You think the farmers would harvest their crop soon given its autumn but for the last 3 cycles they left it to January to it, when its all wilting or dead! I could only assume it gets used in pig feed or something (unless corn matures with age?).

@Panda Alvin @Jonk I've found two local spots which seem to be good for me, with the main criteria being dark enough and close enough!

The first is at the top of Cow Drove Hill just outside of Kings Somborne.  There isn't really parking at the top, but a place to pull into that seems sufficiently out of the way.  It's a very quiet road late at night.

The second is on the field next to Jubilee Hall in Timsbury. Whilst this is in a village, there is minimal street lighting and it is well shielded, so it seems fairly dark at least to my newbie eyes.

Archived