Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why is Saturn and Jupiter low quality through skywatcher 150/750

I’ve had the celestron powerseeker 70az and wanted an upgrade. I’ve bought the Sky Watcher 150/750 second hand thinking this would be an upgrade. Although it’s a MILLION times easier to use, both viewing Jupiter and Saturn were considerably less detailed than the celestron. I couldn’t even make out the 2 lines on Jupiter and could only tell it’s Saturn because of an off shape rather than seeing rings like the celestron showed. 

Messed about with numerous eye pieces and couldn’t get it any clearer. 

Should I be able to get clearer images than this or was I just paying the extra for ease of use? 

Thank you. 

Jupiter and Saturn are both well past closest approach and very low too, so you will not get great views now 

But your scope is more capable than what you are seeing - as said above the scope may need collimating

And it needs more time than your refactor to cool

Do you still have the Powerseeker? Perhaps set both up together and compare the views. If the view through the Powerseeker is also worse than you remember it being then you know that the problem is in the atmosphere. If the Powerseeker is still good while the skywatcher is bad then you know that it is probably the collimation or cooling of the scope you need to investigate. 

The SW is capable of seeing plenty of detail on Jupiter and great views of Saturn if it is collimated and the seeing is good. Mine held collimating very well. Shame the planets are so low at the moment.  Stick with it as the SW will easily out perform your old scope.

It could be a collimation problem or simply poor seeing conditions.  However, I would first explore focus. At around 150x to 200x magnification you should be able to see the two brownish bands of Jupiter in any scope. But ratchet up the magnification too high and you will lose detail rather than gain detail. But without information about the eyepieces you have it is hard to guide you. Were you perhaps using them all with a Barlow as that might mean magnification beyond ideal parameters? 

Archived