SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dumb question about that rubber stopper that comes on the counterweight screw

I have a really dumb question about the rubber stopper that comes on top the counterweight screw (Celestron VX mount). I'm referring to the screw you turn to hold the counterweight firmly in place on the pole. The head of the screw has a rubber cushion. I believe this cushion is so that the screw does not tear up the counterweight pole (the metal on metal might erode it over time?).

Anyway, getting to my question: when I loosen the counterweight screw before placing the counterweight on the pole, this rubber keeps getting stuck in the screw hole. In other words, I cannot loosen the screw all the way to allow the counterweight to slide onto the pole because the rubber is stuck. So, do I even need this rubber thing? Can I toss it, or will my counterweight pole get all torn up from the screw if I take the rubber off? Hopefully this question made sense ... and if people don't know what this rubber this is, I'm going to assume it's not important.

Oh, and one other thing--is there a dedicated place to buy spare parts from Celestron (e.g., screws, this rubber thing, etc)? I think one of two light screws that holds my eyepieces in place is missing, but I don't see a page on the Celestron website where I can buy it ... Thanks!

In the olden days, and perhaps before you took up astronomy, solid-brass rods were used instead of the clear-nylon.  You can see the rod there next to the knob at lower-left...

65219043_VixenGPDXcounterweight2b.jpg.01fc9faee6eb0b942a6143fe4962e5e9.jpg

The brass rod will not mar the surface of the shaft, in the least.  You want the rod to fit into the hole somewhat snugly, and to prevent it from falling out easily when removing the counterweight for storage.

Archived