Suggestions for attaching a Bahtinov mask to a F/5.9 refractor

choochoo_baloo

I've been pondering how I'm going to attach this Bahtinov mask to my William Optics refractor. A brief internet search has failed to give a definitive answer (which surprised me). Therefore I'm inclined to go for a custom fitting, and would like advice on the below sketch.

The plastic cylinder will be made from Delrin (I have some lying in the workshop). It's a shame to have to cut three slots in my new shiny Bahtinov mask, but I'm really struggling to think of an alternative design.

Suggestions will be gratefully received.

Bahtinov fixing.jpg

As you never, ever, use a bahtinov mask with the tube pointing at anything other than an upwards angle, you just need two pegs (I was supplied a mask with two M6 nylon screws) to hook over the end of the dewshield/scope. I've used the same arrangement for home made masks, or for smaller ones I have 3D printed them with a semi-circular lip. Has the great advantage that you can place and remove them without disturbing anything.

8 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

As you never, ever, use a bahtinov mask with the tube pointing at anything other than an upwards angle, you just need two pegs (I was supplied a mask with two M6 nylon screws) to hook over the end of the dewshield/scope. I've used the same arrangement for home made masks, or for smaller ones I have 3D printed them with a semi-circular lip. Has the great advantage that you can place and remove them without disturbing anything.

But..........if it does fall off it will probably break!

19 hours ago, choochoo_baloo said:

Is your mask tapped to take the bolts - the mask seems only a few mm thick? Otherwise a sliding fit would be pretty useless.

I have one like that, they are just a tight fit and haven't ever fallen out. I use the same principle with my larger 3D printed ones.

Archived