Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Detail on Mars at last

domstar

As the moon shone in a darkening sky, I wondered whether I could be bothered to get the scope out and have a look. I'm glad I did. It's been a while since I've observed the moon and it was so crisp. I only use 90x but the details were so sharp I wasn't inclined to go higher. Rima Ariandaeus (I assume) was almost like a black hair across the field of view and Theo, Cyril and Cath were clearer than I've ever seen despite being possibly a day late.

When the low moon went behind trees, for want of a better target, I turned my attention to Mars expecting the usual disappointment. Crisp is not a word I'd associate with Mars this year but it actually looked like a planet instead of a splodge. OK, it wasn't round but the Africa-like dark patch looked solid and constant. 150x took Mars to the same size and wobbliness as my 90x views in early August but at 90x I had a taste of what the crazy Mars enthusiasts find so beguiling. One day I might join their ranks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived