Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1.25" EP - wide FOV

PaulM

In the lookout for a 1.25" EP that will give me the largest FOV possible, I have a few 1.25" filters so a 2" EP isn't an option any advice or links to suitable EPs would be very much appreciated

Will be used on a 300P dob

thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, it depends on your budget really, but if you can stretch to it the best widefield at 1.25" is the TV Panoptic 24mm (but at £302 new) it is very expensive, but I have seen them second-hand on AB&S.  If  your budget does not stretch this far then a good 32mm Plossl, such as the GSO or its clones would serve you well. 

Here is a link to the Panoptic: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tele-vue-eyepieces/tele-vue-panoptic-68-eyepieces.html

Link to 32mm Plossl: https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/revelation-32.0mm-plossl-eyepiece-1.25.html

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

There is a 24mm Meade SWA in the classifieds at a bargain price (IMO). It is the original version of what is now sold as the ES68° with a different body style. I had both and kept the Meade as I prefer the twist up eyecup. Other people may prefer the ES. 

However, I have now upgraded to a 28mm 82° eyepiece. I didn't find the 24mm 68° quite wide enough in my 8" dob. 

I have the 24mm Panoptic and it is indeed a very fine eyepiece. Prior to that I had the ES 24mm 68 and prior to that the Maxvision 24mm 68. Both the lower cost alternatives (very much lower cost in the case of the 24mm Maxvision) performed well in my F/5.3 12" dob. I got the 24 Panoptic at a very good price though so I could not resist :icon_biggrin:

The 24mm 68 degree EP's give you as much true field as the 1.25" format can deliver. The 32mm plossl does the same but the higher magnification that the 24mm's deliver have some advantages for observing fainter dso's against a slightly light polluted background sky I feel.

21 minutes ago, PaulM said:

Thanks for your replies

I have gone for a used Meade 24mm series-5000 SWA eyepiece bought from a user on here

Hopefully this will give my the views I want

Report back on how you like it.  I thought about picking one up during the great Meade 5000 SWA blowout sale over 5 years ago, but was concerned it wouldn't have enough eye relief for use with eyeglasses.

Just now, Louis D said:

Report back on how you like it.  I thought about picking one up during the great Meade 5000 SWA blowout sale over 5 years ago, but was concerned it wouldn't have enough eye relief for use with eyeglasses.

Will do 

Archived