Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pegasus Doubles - More Progress

cloudsweeper

Started by showing big sister some lunar detail - more for her to enjoy for the first time after Mars and Saturn a few days ago.

Anyway - five doubles close to Scheat, all within about 3 degrees.  (Well three doubles, since I reported on Sigma 2978 and h5532 a few days ago.)

I aligned the 8SE on Deneb, and checked it by going to the bright orange Scheat, at the north of the Great Square.  One-star alignment is not great however, so it was a bit out, but easily spotted, and I used it to hop to:

Sigma 2974 - 2.7", matched - just split at x102, better x145.

Then another hop to:

Beta 78 - 19", companion faint - an easy, clear split x56, helped by AV, clearer x68, very pleasing.

Combined hopping and GoTo isn't very sensible, so I re-aligned on Scheat and Markab, and went - using SAO numbers as usual - for:

Sigma 2968 - 3.2", faint companion - spot on!  Split at x145, with AV.

So that's the five I wanted now achieved.

A bit further south lies 61 Peg, a binary, 31". I had a go at this recently when it wasn't very dark, and could not spot the companion.  Now, I thought, it would surrender to my probing, but again, No, at a range of mags, then after 1.25 hours cloud brought further attempts to a close.  But I'll be back there alright!

An enjoyable session, taking advantage of even short windows of opportunity!

Doug.

(Piazzi's Flying Star - see Gus's reply - this is actually 61 Cyg, not 61 Peg as I originally stated.  Sorry!)

21 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Started by showing big sister some lunar detail - more for her to enjoy for the first time after Mars and Saturn a few days ago.

Anyway - five doubles close to Scheat, all within about 3 degrees.  (Well three doubles, since I reported on Sigma 2978 and h5532 a few days ago.)

I aligned on Deneb, and checked it by going to the bright orange Scheat, at the north of the Great Square.  One-star alignment is not great however, so it was a bit out, but easily spotted, and I used it to hop to:

Sigma 2974 - 2.7", matched - just split at x102, better x145.

Then another hop to:

Beta 78 - 19", companion faint - an easy, clear split x56, helped by AV, clearer x68, very pleasing.

Combined hopping and GoTo isn't very sensible, so I re-aligned on Scheat and Markab, and went - using SAO numbers as usual - for:

Sigma 2968 - 3.2", faint companion - spot on!  Split at x145, with AV.

So that's the five I wanted now achieved.

A bit further south lies 61 Peg, a binary, 31", called Bessel's Star, or Piazzi's Flying Star - "flying" because it has a very large proper motion (relative to the solar system), so changes position noticeably over the years.  I had a go at this recently when it wasn't very dark, and could not spot the companion.  Now, I thought, it would surrender to my probing, but again, No, at a range of mags, then after 1.25 hours cloud brought further attempts to a close.  But I'll be back there alright!

An enjoyable session, taking advantage of even short windows of opportunity!

Doug.

Nice work Doug. Looks like your sister might get the bug too! :) Was hoping to do a little observing tonight as earlier it was quite clear, but now clouded up, so no doubles or anything for me tonight! 

Archived