Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_the_milky_way_winners.thumb.jpg.0a840852a676f881f4a849dd8099085d.jpg

souls33k3r

Fast APO Refractor Recommendations

Yes that is a 'Captain's Wheel' lock ring which allows the focuser to be rotated, but that rotates the whole focuser, which can cause issues with the auto-focus motor clashing.  You can rotate just the camera (and fw obviously) by rotating the end cap, leaving the focuser in the same position.  I thought this is what you meant when you said about rotating the camera ala Star71.

Edited by RayD

1 minute ago, RayD said:

Yes but that rotates the whole focuser, which can cause issues with the auto-focus motor clashing.  You can rotate just the camera (and fw obviously) by rotating the end cap, leaving the focuser in the same position.  I thought this is what you meant when you said about rotating the camera ala Star71.

Yes you're absolutely correct, i only wanted to rotate the camera and not the whole focuser. Makes no sense to give the user the option to rotate the entire focuser, and the shoe. 

Sorry this thread all of a sudden has become an Esprit 80 thread for which i do apologise :D

1 minute ago, souls33k3r said:

Yes you're absolutely correct, i only wanted to rotate the camera and not the whole focuser. Makes no sense to give the user the option to rotate the entire focuser, and the shoe. 

Sorry this thread all of a sudden has become an Esprit 80 thread for which i do apologise :D

😂

No it doesn't rotate the shoe, just the focuser.  I found that it was better to lock everything up with the dew shield facing down, and then just use the end cap and lock ring to get things where I wanted them so the focuser stayed in line.

4 minutes ago, RayD said:

😂

No it doesn't rotate the shoe, just the focuser.  I found that it was better to lock everything up with the dew shield facing down, and then just use the end cap and lock ring to get things where I wanted them so the focuser stayed in line.

lol sorry that shoe comment was half said (little one threw a tantrum that she wanted a new writing book so go distracted :D ) what i meant was that the locking rings makes no sense and neither does having a shoe as a base for a scope of 80mm size. Design issue in my eyes. 

Not sure how much does the shoe raises the scope because like i said with my star 71, i had to rotate the scope within it's rings so that the focuser was on the top rather than at the bottom because it would hit the Dec puck. 

2 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

lol sorry that shoe comment was half said (little one threw a tantrum that she wanted a new writing book so go distracted :D ) what i meant was that the locking rings makes no sense and neither does having a shoe as a base for a scope of 80mm size. Design issue in my eyes. 

Not sure how much does the shoe raises the scope because like i said with my star 71, i had to rotate the scope within it's rings so that the focuser was on the top rather than at the bottom because it would hit the Dec puck. 

Hard to tell mate as the front element on this would be a bit heavier than your Star71, so the balance will be different, and the focuser probably in a different place.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Sweet, seems like you and i (potentially) have the exact kit. 

Can i be a big bug bear and ask, what's the height in CM/MM of the dew shield? The star 71 is 90mm so wanted to confirm how big it is because storing a scope is something i have to consider too. If possible, can i have the exact height please?

Yep, the 1600, efw and OAG is a very nice combo. It fits well with the Esprit. I've found the setup compact enough to leave the scope stored with everything left connected.

Diameter of the dew shield is approx. 125mm.

I've got the shoe on a losmandy plate which helps with balancing.  I found the shoe on its own is too short.

Also I've put an extension tube between scope and flattener,  which means I don't have to rack out the drawtube very far to achieve focus.

Andy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

Yep, the 1600, efw and OAG is a very nice combo. It fits well with the Esprit. I've found the setup compact enough to leave the scope stored with everything left connected.

Diameter of the dew shield is approx. 125mm.

I've got the shoe on a losmandy plate which helps with balancing.  I found the shoe on its own is too short.

Also I've put an extension tube between scope and flattener,  which means I don't have to rack out the drawtube very far to achieve focus.

Andy.

Cheers Andy, that's super super helpful mate. Really do appreciate that.

Good shout on the extension tube between scope and flattener :thumbsup: