Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fast APO Refractor Recommendations

Yes that is a 'Captain's Wheel' lock ring which allows the focuser to be rotated, but that rotates the whole focuser, which can cause issues with the auto-focus motor clashing.  You can rotate just the camera (and fw obviously) by rotating the end cap, leaving the focuser in the same position.  I thought this is what you meant when you said about rotating the camera ala Star71.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RayD said:

Yes but that rotates the whole focuser, which can cause issues with the auto-focus motor clashing.  You can rotate just the camera (and fw obviously) by rotating the end cap, leaving the focuser in the same position.  I thought this is what you meant when you said about rotating the camera ala Star71.

Yes you're absolutely correct, i only wanted to rotate the camera and not the whole focuser. Makes no sense to give the user the option to rotate the entire focuser, and the shoe. 

Sorry this thread all of a sudden has become an Esprit 80 thread for which i do apologise :D

1 minute ago, souls33k3r said:

Yes you're absolutely correct, i only wanted to rotate the camera and not the whole focuser. Makes no sense to give the user the option to rotate the entire focuser, and the shoe. 

Sorry this thread all of a sudden has become an Esprit 80 thread for which i do apologise :D

?

No it doesn't rotate the shoe, just the focuser.  I found that it was better to lock everything up with the dew shield facing down, and then just use the end cap and lock ring to get things where I wanted them so the focuser stayed in line.

4 minutes ago, RayD said:

?

No it doesn't rotate the shoe, just the focuser.  I found that it was better to lock everything up with the dew shield facing down, and then just use the end cap and lock ring to get things where I wanted them so the focuser stayed in line.

lol sorry that shoe comment was half said (little one threw a tantrum that she wanted a new writing book so go distracted :D ) what i meant was that the locking rings makes no sense and neither does having a shoe as a base for a scope of 80mm size. Design issue in my eyes. 

Not sure how much does the shoe raises the scope because like i said with my star 71, i had to rotate the scope within it's rings so that the focuser was on the top rather than at the bottom because it would hit the Dec puck. 

2 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

lol sorry that shoe comment was half said (little one threw a tantrum that she wanted a new writing book so go distracted :D ) what i meant was that the locking rings makes no sense and neither does having a shoe as a base for a scope of 80mm size. Design issue in my eyes. 

Not sure how much does the shoe raises the scope because like i said with my star 71, i had to rotate the scope within it's rings so that the focuser was on the top rather than at the bottom because it would hit the Dec puck. 

Hard to tell mate as the front element on this would be a bit heavier than your Star71, so the balance will be different, and the focuser probably in a different place.

6 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Sweet, seems like you and i (potentially) have the exact kit. 

Can i be a big bug bear and ask, what's the height in CM/MM of the dew shield? The star 71 is 90mm so wanted to confirm how big it is because storing a scope is something i have to consider too. If possible, can i have the exact height please?

Yep, the 1600, efw and OAG is a very nice combo. It fits well with the Esprit. I've found the setup compact enough to leave the scope stored with everything left connected.

Diameter of the dew shield is approx. 125mm.

I've got the shoe on a losmandy plate which helps with balancing.  I found the shoe on its own is too short.

Also I've put an extension tube between scope and flattener,  which means I don't have to rack out the drawtube very far to achieve focus.

Andy.

2 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

Yep, the 1600, efw and OAG is a very nice combo. It fits well with the Esprit. I've found the setup compact enough to leave the scope stored with everything left connected.

Diameter of the dew shield is approx. 125mm.

I've got the shoe on a losmandy plate which helps with balancing.  I found the shoe on its own is too short.

Also I've put an extension tube between scope and flattener,  which means I don't have to rack out the drawtube very far to achieve focus.

Andy.

Cheers Andy, that's super super helpful mate. Really do appreciate that.

Good shout on the extension tube between scope and flattener :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
On 17/09/2018 at 17:24, RayD said:

Hopefully FLO is ok for me to use an image from their site to demonstrate this as it is likely you would buy this from them if going ahead.

You unscrew the locking ring (red arrow) by rotating anti-clockwise towards the tube, and this then loosens the end cap which your camera is connected to (blue arrow).  Rotate the blue bit and then then lock up the red bit to secure.  You will then need to refocus.

828688100_ScreenShot2018-09-17at18_17_50.thumb.png.1b2a24e0b045cb66c253ccfd45efa8e1.png

So rather than starting a new thread, i thought i should ask here as a continuation.

I tried to undo the locking ring pointed in RED anti-clockwise but it wouldn't even move. My hands gets on slipping and it was very tough when the scope was mounted. So i took the scope off and tried it again but still no joy. The only way i could rotate the camera was by turning the locking ring pointed in BLUE anti-clockwise which is when i was able to do the locking ring in red. It was a bit fiddly because this was the only way i could lock and unlock the locking rings and move my camera around. It was like when i was turning the RED ring in anticlockwise, it was locking against the BLUE ring. 

Am i doing something wrong here? Also when the scope went back on the mount, it was hard for me to do this again.

Thanks

24 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

So rather than starting a new thread, i thought i should ask here as a continuation.

I tried to undo the locking ring pointed in RED anti-clockwise but it wouldn't even move. My hands gets on slipping and it was very tough when the scope was mounted. So i took the scope off and tried it again but still no joy. The only way i could rotate the camera was by turning the locking ring pointed in BLUE anti-clockwise which is when i was able to do the locking ring in red. It was a bit fiddly because this was the only way i could lock and unlock the locking rings and move my camera around. It was like when i was turning the RED ring in anticlockwise, it was locking against the BLUE ring. 

Am i doing something wrong here? Also when the scope went back on the mount, it was hard for me to do this again.

Thanks

Yes that is correct.  When I said anti-clockwise I meant from an unscrewing perspective, not looking at it.  It was hard to explain, that's why I said towards the tube.

The end bit (adaptor with the compression fitting on) unscrews (anti-clockwise looking at it) and comes off.  Basically you rotate that until your camera is in the orientation you want, and then lock it in that position by screwing the other one (red) tight against it, which would then be anti-clockwise looking at it, but clockwise from a screwing perspective.  All very confusing and hard to explain in writing but you have it right :thumbright:

1 minute ago, RayD said:

Yes that is correct.  When I said anti-clockwise I meant from an unscrewing perspective, not looking at it.  It was hard to explain, that's why I said towards the tube.

The end bit (adaptor with the compression fitting on) unscrews (anti-clockwise looking at it) and comes off.  Basically you rotate that until your camera is in the orientation you want, and then lock it in that position by screwing the other one (red) tight against it, which would then be anti-clockwise looking at it, but clockwise from a screwing perspective.  All very confusing and hard to explain in writing but you have it right :thumbright:

Cheers mate, now my head is spinning like a clock :D

One other thing i noticed was that the scope started to spin within the tube rings when i was trying to loosen or tighten these locking rings. All very weird!

Can't wait for the next clear night to take this bad boy out for a spin and pixel peep the hell out of it (only kidding, i won't zoom in 400% .... 250% ok? :D )

Just now, souls33k3r said:

Cheers mate, now my head is spinning like a clock :D

One other thing i noticed was that the scope started to spin within the tube rings when i was trying to loosen or tighten these locking rings. All very weird!

Can't wait for the next clear night to take this bad boy out for a spin and pixel peep the hell out of it (only kidding, i won't zoom in 400% .... 250% ok? :D )

? I'm sure you'll find an app that can allow you to go to 800%.

Yes if you twist hard enough you probably will spin it in the rings.  They need to grip it tight, but you don't want them turning the OTA in to a Star71 :thumbright:

In reality, if you are having to twist it that hard then it may all be a tad too tight.  It should be tight enough to stop things moving about, but not so much that you really struggle to undo it.  I set mine by getting the red ring in the position I want, run the blue ring up to it, rotate them both a tiny bit init-clockwise (out) and then tightening the red one whilst holding the blue one.

It doesn't matter if is a tiny bit out as you can rotate it in the rings or the capstan to get the camera orientation spot on.

Look forward to seeing your thoughts on performance mate :thumbright:

7 minutes ago, RayD said:

? I'm sure you'll find an app that can allow you to go to 800%.

Yes if you twist hard enough you probably will spin it in the rings.  They need to grip it tight, but you don't want them turning the OTA in to a Star71 :thumbright:

In reality, if you are having to twist it that hard then it may all be a tad too tight.  It should be tight enough to stop things moving about, but not so much that you really struggle to undo it.  I set mine by getting the red ring in the position I want, run the blue ring up to it, rotate them both a tiny bit init-clockwise (out) and then tightening the red one whilst holding the blue one.

It doesn't matter if is a tiny bit out as you can rotate it in the rings or the capstan to get the camera orientation spot on.

Look forward to seeing your thoughts on performance mate :thumbright:

800%, now you're giving this 5 year old kid options ... i promise i won't blame you :D

That's exactly how i was doing the locking rings but i thought i was doing it wrong so wanted to be sure. It's so very confusing when you read and not have the scope in front of you. One of these things which is better explain when shown i guess *cough* youtube material *cough* ;)

The capstan wheel was very easy to lock and unlock and i found it very easy to rotate my camera using that but then i don't want to be messing around with it too much.

3 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

800%, now you're giving this 5 year old kid options ... i promise i won't blame you :D

That's exactly how i was doing the locking rings but i thought i was doing it wrong so wanted to be sure. It's so very confusing when you read and not have the scope in front of you. One of these things which is better explain when shown i guess *cough* youtube material *cough* ;)

The capstan wheel was very easy to lock and unlock and i found it very easy to rotate my camera using that but then i don't want to be messing around with it too much.

Ha ha got the hint mate.  I'm in Spain at the minute so can't access it otherwise would be happy to.

The capstan is fine, but it rotates the whole focuser, so if you are using a long dovetail this can cause a clash, that's why I didn't use it.  If you do use it, I suggest lighting it again with the lens cell facing the ground so you are sure everything is seated nicely.

Archived