SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Giacobini-Zinner and M35

After a run of very poor nights both at home and at Kelling Heath, Friday night (14th Sept.) gave me a few hours of good clear sky in the early hours.  So as I knew Giacobini-Zinner was approaching M35, decided to have a go.  It was actually going to pass right across M35, but in mid morning - I wonder if anyone elsewhere in the world captured the passage.   I started imaging around 1:30 local time, but the target was very low at only 18 degrees altitude.  Also in the East which is my worst light pollution area, looking towards Newcastle upon Tyne.  So I waited, and eventually was satisfied with 10 frames around 4 am when the comet was at 40 degrees altitude, at which point the clouds arrived.

So here is the result.  Canon 700D on TS65 quad.  10 frames at 3 minutes and ISO1600.  Processed using a combination of Deep Sky Stacker, MaximDL and Photoshop.   The small very old cluster to the lower right of M35 is of course NGC 2158, with IC2157 further to the right.

Cheersl,

Peter.

G-ZM35.jpg

This is beautiful. I'm actually jealous. I went out on Sept. 9 around 1 am local time. It should have been near Capella, but I don't have a GoTo system, and without being able to spot it with binoculars I couldn't get my finder scope in the neighborhood. But it was my second outing with my new scope, and a pleasantly warm night, so I can be too disappointed.

I get my first comet picture this night. Not as clear as yours because I failed to find it on the Celestron C8 due to humidity and lack of skill :) So in the end I took some pictures in the Meade ETX 70 with canon 7d  12 photos 30" iso 1600 stacked in DSS and somme processing in PS; Weird colors because I tried to correct the extremely annoying chromatic aberration

21P.jpg

Archived