Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

axle01

AZ-GTi saddle

I never liked the AZ-GTi saddle clamp so i removed the tin cover inside the clamp which revealed 4 screws, i removed them and the clamp then I dug out a saddle from the spare parts box, i had 3 but 2 had pre-drilled holes in the centre that didn’t line up with the AZ-GTi mount holes but the ADM saddle had no pre-drilled holes so i removed the AZ-GTi saddle and clamped it on the back of the ADM saddle and drilled 4 holes and i now need to go the the bolt shop on Monday and get the correct length bolts then countersink the holes,,,,,easy-peasy.

dwamxf.jpg

wmdmbb.jpg

13yfjww.jpg

jgrtcm.jpg

Al

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good mod. Wish Skywatcher would fit better saddles or at least have optional saddles. 

Replaced the stock saddle on my AZ-EQ5 GT with an ADM one although had to fit a new puck to the mount as well.

3F074E93-0E4F-42BE-98AB-B09B132BDCED.jpeg

Great mod! The saddle is the worst bit imo of the az gti. It works but I certainly make sure I have a safety screw in place when using it.

Hopefully one day soon an easy saddle upgrade will be produced.

That is a great mod! I really would like to do something similar with mine. I heard that Primaluce make a clamp that fits but I’ve not been able to confirm that.

On 16/09/2018 at 03:17, axle01 said:

I never liked the AZ-GTi saddle clamp so i removed the tin cover inside the clamp which revealed 4 screws, i removed them and the clamp then I dug out a saddle from the spare parts box, i had 3 but 2 had pre-drilled holes in the centre that didn’t line up with the AZ-GTi mount holes but the ADM saddle had no pre-drilled holes so i removed the AZ-GTi saddle and clamped it on the back of the ADM saddle and drilled 4 holes and i now need to go the the bolt shop on Monday and get the correct length bolts then countersink the holes,,,,,easy-peasy.

dwamxf.jpg

wmdmbb.jpg

13yfjww.jpg

jgrtcm.jpg

Al

Hi Al

Based on your modification, do you think the attached clamp would work (are the holes the right distance apart?)

Thanks

Gavin

34AF45CF-5FEA-412B-A4B6-190833ED0CD3.png

Gavin the spacing diagonally is 28mm hole center to hole center and 19mm from hole center to hole center where your clamp is 20mm and a 6.5mm hole by the look of it.

I found the clamps I had the predrilled holes were 25.5mm and drilled for 1/4” bolts.

The AZ-GT I bolts are M4. 

Al

Edited by axle01
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Better :)

Maybe FLO could look into getting one designed for the az gti like this - I’m sure it would be popular..

• Like 5

Sorry!

This should be the correct link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/S7959-new-medium-dovetail-telescope-accessories/1371081_1971053752.html

It's a vixen style aluminium saddle with a single brass clamp.  It has several fitting holes, four of them are 19mm spaced unthreaded holes.

Edited by giorgio_ne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, giorgio_ne said:

It's a vixen style aluminium saddle with a single brass clamp.  It has several fitting holes, four of them are 19mm spaced unthreaded holes. 

That looks interesting, but I'm not sure about their dimensions;

Bottom row; three holes 19mm apart (centre to centre). Second row; three holes 17.5mm apart - but both rows look the same length? 

What am I missing? 

Screenshot_20190215-140029__01.jpg.aedde59a84e96b9f46b589c756d81ade.jpg

Thanks for that, looks great.

@FLO, will you be stocking these?

Now the AZGti is starting to look more tempting.
@FLO ?? will you we stocking the ADM adaptor piece and a vixen type clamp soon at all?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Now the AZGti is starting to look more tempting.
@FLO ?? will you we stocking the ADM adaptor piece and a vixen type clamp soon at all?

I've already asked Grant :) hopefully they will have them soon, date tbc.

• Like 1

Nice one Stu.
Many owners will be happier with a better saddle I am sure.

Yes id like to buy one 

On 16/09/2018 at 03:17, axle01 said:

@axle01 is there a trick for removing that round tin cover without damaging it? I can think of using a small screwdriver to lever it out, but am a bit worried.

I've got a couple of clamps in stock, but I fear I might have the same problem with the position of the holes as you.

IMG_3630.JPG

Okay, a question...how difficult will it be to fit that ADM thingie. I do not have the mount yet and I've heard it was not built with modding in mind.