Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some eye pieces are dimmer than others

Hi,

I notice that when I'm observing and switching between my different eye pieces some give a dimmer image than others. In particular my 9mm eye piece gives a much dimmer image when compared to my 21 mm. 

Why does this happen? 

Yes, the object is still emitting the same amount of light, but the increased magnification is spreading that light out over a bigger area. Less light per unit area => dimmer image. This is one reason why the obsession of "department store" telescopes of massive magnification figures is so wrong. It leads the novice to believe that more magnification = better, which it most certainly ain't.

Cheers for the responses to that guys makes a lot of sense.

Just a follow up question to this. If there was a 8" aperture scope vs a 6" aperture scope and they both magnified on an object by the same amount would the bigger aperture show a brighter image? 

1 minute ago, 5haan_A said:

Cheers for the responses to that guys makes a lot of sense.

Just a follow up question to this. If there was a 8" aperture scope vs a 6" aperture scope and they both magnified on an object by the same amount would the bigger aperture show a brighter image? 

Simple answer is yes.

Exit pupil is calculated as Aperture/magnification so at say x100 a 6" (150mm) scope will have an exit pupil of 1.5mm and an 8" (200mm) will have an exit pupil of 2mm giving a brighter image.

Archived