SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

3D Printers

Thalestris24

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dave_D said:

i caught the postman trying to shove this through my letterbox today :D

so far it works WAY better than my anet AM8

b1fedef3-52f7-4f63-9d17-97d40f5b723a-ori

I will be interested to get your thoughts on the Ender, its one I am considering getting. Did you get it on ebay?

Just now, JonC said:

I will be interested to get your thoughts on the Ender, its one I am considering getting. Did you get it on ebay?

amazon. if you can, get one sold by Comgrow i've heard that there are copies being sold that have 3D printed parts like the power supply cover, but this is the one i got and it's a genuine Ender3 Pro (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GYXP9ZL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), from what i've heard, Comgrow have very good support.

so far i'm really impressed. only done 1 print yet but this would have made my AM8 curl it's toes up. that's a 1p coin it's stood on

7b1829fc-3a0f-4e3f-b2dd-8fc5414e257f-ori

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dave_D said:

amazon. if you can, get one sold by Comgrow i've heard that there are copies being sold that have 3D printed parts like the power supply cover, but this is the one i got and it's a genuine Ender3 Pro (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GYXP9ZL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), from what i've heard, Comgrow have very good support.

so far i'm really impressed. only done 1 print yet but this would have made my AM8 curl it's toes up. that's a 1p coin it's stood on

Excellent!

What size nozzle, and can you share the STL? I'd like to see if my printer can manage that!

This was one of my fav printers, just a little suggestion though - if they haven't improved the design there is a cut out on one of the metal bars which is underneath - cables get fed through the gap. The one I had was very sharp on the edges and would eventually wear through the plastic on the cabling which could be dangerous. I used a block of foam zip-tied to the cables to protect it all.

The reliability and repeatability I got out of the Ender 3 was amazing though. Seriously considering getting another.

Another handy suggestion would be one of these, if you use the micro-sd card. Saves the hassle of unscrewing the control box when you post the micro-sd in under the PCB instead of into the slot.
61saneNCZOL._SX425_.jpg.5af82ecad164f1addd1b1f1401e6d8a0.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, upahill said:

This was one of my fav printers, just a little suggestion though - if they haven't improved the design there is a cut out on one of the metal bars which is underneath - cables get fed through the gap. The one I had was very sharp on the edges and would eventually wear through the plastic on the cabling which could be dangerous. I used a block of foam zip-tied to the cables to protect it all.

The reliability and repeatability I got out of the Ender 3 was amazing though. Seriously considering getting another.

Another handy suggestion would be one of these, if you use the micro-sd card. Saves the hassle of unscrewing the control box when you post the micro-sd in under the PCB instead of into the slot.
61saneNCZOL._SX425_.jpg.5af82ecad164f1addd1b1f1401e6d8a0.jpg

yeah. i've got it running with octoprint at the moment but i'm seriously considering replacing the existing mobo with my duetwifi. i've cultivated a bit of a dislike for 8 bit controllers now i've been corrupted with 32bit printer boards and esp32 microcontrollers :D

I can thorroughly recommend the Duet WiFi boards - I have them on all 3 of my printers and find them superb.  Better prints, easier to use and quiet printer operation (except for fans).

30 minutes ago, Dave_D said:

yeah. i've got it running with octoprint at the moment but i'm seriously considering replacing the existing mobo with my duetwifi. i've cultivated a bit of a dislike for 8 bit controllers now i've been corrupted with 32bit printer boards and esp32 microcontrollers :D

Good move, octoprint makes life so much easier than faffing about with the cards - Duet is on my 'maybe one day' list but that day keeps getting further and further away ?

• Like 1

On 09/12/2018 at 18:33, Dave_D said:

Wow! 3D printing is coming on leaps and bounds. Equipment to print that 10 years ago would have cost 10's of thousands of pounds

Steve

Just built my Ender 3 Pro and running a test print. Very impressed with the way the kit is packaged, everything you need including the tools, and some spare washers, very easy to assemble. I have a spare raspberry pi laying around, is octoprint worth using?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JonC said:

Just built my Ender 3 Pro and running a test print. Very impressed with the way the kit is packaged, everything you need including the tools, and some spare washers, very easy to assemble. I have a spare raspberry pi laying around, is octoprint worth using? 

I have one bolted permanently onto my Prusa i3 MK2, it gives you the same type of functionality you get with the Duet Ethernet\WIFI, so very worthwhile installing, 

Edited by Dr_Ju_ju
  • Like 1