SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

130pds v 150pds for imaging

Derek1973

Hi everyone, 

Still looking at various scopes for imaging ed80 is high on my list but would I be better with either 130pds or 150pds incase I wanted to do some visual as well.

If so opinions on the 130pds v 150pds.

Ive ruled out the 200pds as its far too big for me. 

Thanks. 

I think the ed80 is the best starting point. i know a lot love the 130 for imaging but for simplicity the ed80 wins. i enjoy a little bit of visual with mine, certainly more that i ever did with my old orion 150 newt, granted it never had go-to but collimation is something i dont have to worry about now, or cool down. 

Hi. Not exactly OT but may help anyway.

We've had no luck with the focusers on either of my examples of the 80 or 130 models sent to us. The 80 was returned for a refund, the 130 however survives to this day -albeit with wedged cocktail sticks to stop the focuser slipping- and produces great snaps. There's a thread dedicated to ap with the 130. If that's the sort of shots you like, then I'd go for the 130.

Visually you could join a club and see for yourself. Do a side by side on the same target. Of the two, you'll see immediately which to get.

**Can't comment on the 150: for that fl, we use a Bresser model nt150s; brighter still.

Yes, it's cloudy here.

I know you've ruled it out, but I love my 200pds for imaging.  I like going in for the details in a tight crop rather than a wide view of the whole area, so probably suits my style, and it does seem to be giving me the quality I want.

Downsides would be - it was poorly collimated when I got it, had to spend an hour or so with a cheshire and a laser to get it right, there's lightspill around the mirror end, so I wrap a piece of black-out cloth round it when I'm imaging, I replaced the stock focuser, which wouldn't be strong enough to hold my CCD, it is big for imaging, you'll probably need a stepladder and a steadying hand if the eyepiece is pointing upwards, and lastly I can't carry my kit all in one piece any more, have to take the ota and weights off to move it.  But all that aside, I still love it, honestly !

On 15/09/2018 at 13:25, Derek1973 said:

Hi everyone, 

Still looking at various scopes for imaging ed80 is high on my list but would I be better with either 130pds or 150pds incase I wanted to do some visual as well.

If so opinions on the 130pds v 150pds.

Ive ruled out the 200pds as its far too big for me. 

Thanks. 

I had exactly the same dillema,

and went for 130PDS, - why?

Because of the wide FOV and easier guiding for the start.

My decision was based on thoughts like these:

1) To get a cheap starting scope to figure out if I like the AP game, - 130PDS won in the price battle vs ed80

2) 130PDS vs 150PDS - 130PDS with SW coma corrector has much larger FOV

3) My second scope will be something like SCT 9.25, which may be equiped with 0.63 reducer, so it will fill all gaps in the FOV and 150PDS will be something like SCT with 0.63 reducer.

Keep in mind, 130PDS will have some problems... Sooner or later you will notice, that Focusing Tube casts shadow on the primary mirror and you will need to chop it off a bit :)

Funny... PDS was designed for Imaging, but this part was not sorted out correctly. "Circumcision" is quite easy and does not have any extra costs involved, like eD80 focuser's problem.

Archived