Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_inspirational_skies.thumb.jpg.a20cdbfeadc049807f6d78e6c00ee900.jpg

pbyrne

Herschel Wedge: 1.25" or 2"

Hi all

I am considering the purchase of a Herschel Wedge, my question is this, should I go for the 1.25" model or the 2" ?

My scope is a 100mm, f/5.9 refractor that accepts both 1.25 and 2" eyepieces.  The eyepiece that will used the most is a Baader Hyperion zoom.

Is there any advantage in the 2" over the 1 .25" ?  Or will they perform the same?

Oh, and yes, I know the sun is hibernating at the moment with minimum sunspot activity?

Finally, how do the different brands rate?

Many thanks.

Paul

Edited by pbyrne

With a 100mm aperture scope, the 1.25" will perform just the same as the 2" I think. I use my Lunt 1.25" HW with my ED120 refractor and it works really well.

With 100mm aperture the 1.25” will be fine.

Baader and Lacerta are about the best. Lunt is almost as good and the new TS wedge is about the same as the Lunt but a better buy as it includes a continuum filter.

• Like 1

The 1.25" will be fine. The 2" is more expensive. Ive used my 1.25" HW with a 70mm refrac with great results. Ive since upgraded the frac to a Bresser 102 AR xs.........but also bought a Ha Quark.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

The 2" will also take up quite a bit of focus .

As above 1.25 will be a good fit.

I have the 1.25" Lunt Herschel/Solar wedge. They are recommended for use up to 100mm/4inch refractor, (do not use with an any other type of 'scope/OTA design i.e. Petzval, Mak, SCT, Newtonian, etc). Ensure that it has has an ND3.0 filter fitted, (this comes pre-installed with the Lunt's and is non-removable), for which ever brand you purchase. Solar Continuum and Polarising filters are optional extras.

Edited by Philip R

The Lunt 1.25" and other similar ones are very good value and give excellent performance. I found that the Baader Coolwedge gives better detail and sharpness at high powers, but it is significantly more expensive. I would start with the 1.25", and make sure it has the ND3.0 filter fitted.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.

It looks like the 1.25" model is the way to go.

Laverty and Lung are too for my final choice, unless someone can give a reason to try another brand.  A solar continuum filter is on the list too.

There is a 120mm f/8 blue tube Skywatcher for sale over here and it can be had for 100 Euro.  Being a blue tube it is an older model, would it be worth picking up the scope for solar viewing or should I just stick to my 100mm f/5.9?

Thanks

Paul

36 minutes ago, pbyrne said:

Thanks for all the replies.

It looks like the 1.25" model is the way to go.

Laverty and Lung are too for my final choice, unless someone can give a reason to try another brand.  A solar continuum filter is on the list too.

There is a 120mm f/8 blue tube Skywatcher for sale over here and it can be had for 100 Euro.  Being a blue tube it is an older model, would it be worth picking up the scope for solar viewing or should I just stick to my 100mm f/5.9?

Thanks

Paul

The 120mm f8 sounds like it is worth a go, longer focal length and more aperture for better resolution. With the continuum filter any CA will be gone so all good.

25 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The TS looks good, especially if the narrow band filter is anywhere near the Baader.

I would still love to try one of the Lacerta 2" wedges side by side with the Baader at x200 in good conditions, would be very interesting.

I’ve owned both the Baader 2” and the Lacerta 2” and found there was little to choose between then although I felt the Lacerta just barely edged the Baader.

The TS continuum filter has the same specs as the Baader and seems very similar to look through.

Edited by johninderby

32 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I’ve owned both the Baader 2” and the Lacerta 2” and found there was little to choose between then although I felt the Lacerta just barely edged the Baader.

The TS continuum filter has the same specs as the Baader and seems very similar to look through.

What sort of powers did you use John? I enjoy x200 or more with binoviewers with the Baader, the detail is amazing when conditions allow.

Yea about 200 or so when seeing was very good. 

Tried the Baader on a TS 152 although the wedge did get a bit warm. 🙂

used the Lacerta on an Orion 120.

BTW the little frac had a Baader film filter sitting inside the dew shield.

CE629682-950D-42E0-826C-3087E98B710B.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

Bet the 152mm was fun! Plenty resolution to play with. Wedges are supposed to get hot :)

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

Bet the 152mm was fun! Plenty resolution to play with. Wedges are supposed to get hot :)

Would it be beneficial to stick a small computer heatsink underneath? - I know the Lunt has a heatsink built-in to the back. I have a few small 386/486 processor heat sinks doing nothing, somewhere in a box of computers spare parts. 

When I use the Lunt 1.25" HW with my ED120 the heat sink on the back of it (the red heat sink) gets quite hot but the wedge body does not. I presume that is the way that it is supposed to work.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

The TS looks good, especially if the narrow band filter is anywhere near the Baader.

I would still love to try one of the Lacerta 2" wedges side by side with the Baader at x200 in good conditions, would be very interesting.

I'll be bringing my Lacerta 2" wedge along to Lucksall in Oct @Stuso you can compare the two if we're fortunate enough to be blessed with sunshine.

Ade

• Like 1

Excellent, I will.have the Ercole so we can put scopes side by side :)

• Like 1

I'd recommend the 2" version of any solar wedge unless all of your future refractors are going to be less than 100mm. Even with the 100mm you have,  a 1.25"  solar wedge will get very hot if used for longer than short periods. Better to be safe than sorry. The manufacturers recommend 1.25" wedges for scopes UP TO  100mm, not necessarily FOR 100mm scopes. I have the Lunt 2" for my 102mm refractor. It stays cool.  You will want a Baader solar continuum filter if you want to see all the detail possible (CA is a problem in a short refractor.)  Again, I'd recommend the 2" Baader SC filter to go along with it or you'll have to change the filter every time you change EP's. Happy viewing 

My TS 1.25” Wedge never got hot with with my 102mm frac. Never more than slightly warm to the touch but then it does have a well designed heat sink. 

Looking at the TS wedge, with the polarizing filter, I have heard that this is a Baader continuum filter, though there is no mention in the ad.  How can it be this cheap?  A Baader continuum filter is 59 quid alone.

On 15/09/2018 at 18:04, John said:

When I use the Lunt 1.25" HW with my ED120 the heat sink on the back of it (the red heat sink) gets quite hot but the wedge body does not. I presume that is the way that it is supposed to work.

@John's advice is correct. :icon_salut:

I have just tried mine. The 'red button' does get hot, but not enough to say, "Ouch!" or light a cigarette with. The body remains cool enough to touch for repositioning your OTA if it is on a 'Giro type' or ball head mount. :thumbright:

Edited by Philip R