sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

COMPLETED - Skywatcher Counterweights

Hi All

I recently acquired a Skywatcher 12" Newtonian and have mounted it on an AZ-EQ6 GT, which combination works fine. However, in the absence of extra counterweights - the mount only comes as standard with 2 x 5kg - I had to resort to using the dual-mount saddle and another 9-10kg telescope to get the rig balanced (see image).

Does anybody have any 5kg or 10kg SW weights surplus to their needs, within reasonable driving distance of Middlesex?

Thanks, Magnus

SW_InTheField2_small.jpg

Hi Have you thought of Barbell weights,which have a 25mm centre hole. These are comparatively cheap on line.  I have used them on my GP mount with no trouble.  Worth a look ,even Tesco’s have them sometimes. Kind regards,John.

• Thanks 1

Yes I do actually have a pair of rusty old 2x5kg barbells which I retrieved from my local Recycling Facility and which currently see service preventing my garden-table umbrella from blowing away. They are my backstop plan, but I thought I might see if the Community had any unloved originals lying around.