Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sister Stunned By Sight Of Saturn

cloudsweeper

My (older) sister is up to stay for a few days, and was keen to be shown some of the sights that have delighted me for a few years now.  Saturn was low, west of south, so I got it in the 8SE and put a low step by the 'scope and showed her the wondrous sight.  She was very impressed with her first view of the rings, especially as the planet is just like a bright star with the naked eye.  Mars was over to the east, so that too had a viewing, its enhanced redness being another source of wonderment.  It's really great to share these experiences with people who might otherwise never have them.

I then went on pursuing Pegasus doubles, and was waiting patiently for 61 Peg's fainter companion to pop into view, but nothing doing - clouds scuppered the plan.  But it was nevertheless a rewarding hour which sis will long remember!

Doug.

Always good to hear. I had my scope on my wife's parent's balcony a few weeks ago to look at Mars and Saturn. I was surprised when my wife's sister asked to have  a look. She had  a real wow moment when she saw Saturn and couldn't believe how much like the photos it looked. They normally just dismiss my astronomy a bit dull and geeky.

Archived