Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So it is unexpectedly clear...looking for inspiration on what I should view!

Helen

I'm looking for inspiration guys... I think I need a challenge, something other than the Messiers/showpiece objects I seem to fall back on when observing (I don't do much visual).   I'm thinking also maybe a winter series of challenges where I up my observation skills on a range of objects.  My home skies are sub-sub-urban so really faint is out.  Can provide a range of scopes from a 15 inch dob, though 8 inch sct, to a lovely Tak 100m refractor.

So, inspire me - and I promise to report back!

Thank you!

Helen

Have you found Comet 21P yet? Well worth a peak and marvel at its speed... about 22 km/s... noticeably moving over a 20 min time period or thereabouts... quite faint at around mag +7, but easily visible through a scope. Bit of a late riser though...

Interested to see what suggestions come through.

2 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Have you found Comet 21P yet? Well worth a peak and marvel at its speed... about 22 km/s... noticeably moving over a 20 min time period or thereabouts... quite faint at around mag +7, but easily visible through a scope. Bit of a late riser though...

Interested to see what suggestions come through.

Thanks ?  I imaged it a few weeks ago, but haven't got it visually.  First one for the list then?

Helen

When Neptune rises a bit more I'm going to have a peek at Triton. Needs plenty of magnification but I've seen it with the 130mm refractor and my 12" dob so it's not too faint. Cartes du Ciel gets the positioning more or less spot on, for confirming your observations.

PS: The Veil looks stunning tonight. I know that it's an old favourite but it's always worth a re-visit IMHO :smiley:

1 hour ago, John said:

When Neptune rises a bit more I'm going to have a peek at Triton. Needs plenty of magnification but I've seen it with the 130mm refractor and my 12" dob so it's not too faint. Cartes du Ciel gets the positioning more or less spot on, for confirming your observations.

Triton quite easy to spot tonight with the 12" dob at 397x. It's billed as being mag 13.5 by Cartes du Ciel but it's not difficult to hold with direct vision.

Just back in from a very enjoyable session - thanks for the encouragement everyone ?  

I'll do a proper report tomorrow, but main points: played with the Tak on the AZGTi (Dob needs a shroud for conditions like tonight), so Galaxies aren't really its forte... Saturn neb behind trees along with planets ?  But did have a lot of fun getting some double stars, some showcase object including a couple of planetary nebs, and some old favourite clusters while waiting for 21P to clear the conservatory!  And then got it!! :hello2:  quite low and quite faint, but after going and returning I'm sure I got it and started to pick up some shape as well as just fuzziness.  Very pleased ?   As a bonus I got the AZGTi to talk to my phone at the end of the session (needed to do that to get goto for 21P) and it was rather neat just clicking for goto.  I think that will give me the incentive to put together an observing list in advance next time to make best use of time.

Just warmed up enough to go to bed now

Night, night..

Helen

Excellent job Helen, lovely to read your headline report. It sounds like you need to employ the services of a tree surgeon for a little horizon reshaping! As for observing lists and phone GoTo control of your mount, what software do you currently use? I can highly recommend Sky Safari Pro for the observing list bit. I don’t have a mount to try the GoTo connection control bit, but I love the idea of it and my kit wish list is growing rapidly again!

11 hours ago, John said:

PS: The Veil looks stunning tonight. I know that it's an old favourite but it's always worth a re-visit IMHO :smiley:

+1 for the Veil, looked great through my latest acquisitions - 24mm Pan and 0iii filter, also M27 (Dumbbell nebula) looks much more defined with the 0iii filter!  Finished the night on Mars, best views were through my 5mm SLV with detail emerging at last. 

Thanks for posting,  I noticed this post last night and it made me check the weather resulting in an impromptu session with myy ST120. Clouds and light polluion narrowed my options down for me to brighter doubles in Cassiopea but I had a very good time.

Archived