SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet 21P/Giacobini–Zinner meets M37 at perihelion

I'm still dizzy after processing this one for each LRGB filter.

Comet 21P meets open cluster M37 in the night/morning of 10/11 September, at perihelion.

This is a combination of 60s x 30 x 4 subs, taken through the SW130PDS with an ASI1600MMC.

https://www.astrobin.com/366252/

No deconvolution applied, only noise reduction. About the remaining noise?! ... yes, please. Unfortunately the light pollution at home didn't let me record more.

Thanks for watching and clear skies!

Alex

C21P-F588-2018-09-10-LRGB_p04_half_watermark.jpg

Thank you, all, very much!

37 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

admire your perseverance doing LRGB of a comet

It's my first time trying this, perhaps I could have done better, but I hope I will have more opportunities in the future. It took me over 6h to create comet-less images, subtract them from the individual subs, create star-less images and combining all.

Lovely image Alex

I just missed seeing this. I got up for a bathroom visit that night and saw that the sky was unexpectedly beautifully dark and clear. Got dressed and set things up, found the comet on sky Safari, just about to slew to it and a blanket of cloud swept rapidly across the whole sky! Couldn’t believe it. I waited to see if it would go as quickly as it came but no luck. Ah well........

Thanks, unfortunately, the light pollution hides a lot from here too. I could only get the brightest part of the tail in half of hour of luminance. I used the RGB for synthetic luminance, combined equally with the real luminance though, maybe for a small improvement.

Well, sometimes you have to do with what you have. This event was only once so quite happy with what I got. Most of the times I have to expose 20-40h for what others get in 1-5h under better skies. Thinking about that 8" RASA now...

On 16/09/2018 at 00:46, Eastman said:

Magnificent picture.

15 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

I will echo all the other reply’s .. absolutely amazing .. I can only dream of doing this as I’m a total beginner  when it comes to photography. But this has inspired me so much. Brilliant ! 

Thank you, both, very much!

Archived