Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bringing the kids to SGL SP2018?

Helen

Hi all,

I'm working on kids' activities again with @SimonS for the Saturday afternoon (adults welcome too!).  Can you let us know if you are bringing kids along please, and if so, how old they are?

And if you aren't bringing your kids but would like to take them a present home we'll have some of these fantastic wristbands/bracelets you can buy (proceeds to help outreach in schools).  They are scaled for the distances of the planets. Worn by all the best people... including Dr Suzie Imber ? 

717766749_emmsbracelet.jpg.2af83502a72828c57d5ed28e69e59362.jpg

suzie imber.jpg

Thanks

Helen

Thank you for posting about the bracelets @Helen and a big thank you to SGL admin for allowing these to be mentioned here and sold at the camp :) 

I would just like to add a little extra background info for everyone, in advance of SGL2018.

While at University, Emma (a good friend of Helen and myself) started a (not for profit) company called AstroCymru with the aim to "use innovative and exciting products based on astronomy and space science to engage and inspire its audience" (AstroCymru, 2018).

A large proportion of this is done by offering 3D shows and workshops to schools that are subsidised by the Welsh Assembly, but you may also have seen Emma presenting or on stands at Astrofest or IAS in recent years.

In order to continue offering subsidised outreach opportunities, AstroCymru needs to raise funds through other avenues, one of which is through the sale of these bracelets, all of which are hand made by Emma and her colleagues and have proved to be very popular over the years at astronomy shows (I will be wearing mine at the camp :)). They even featured in June 2018's edition of Astronomy Now.

If anyone would like to buy one of these bracelets, they are priced at £10 each and I will be bringing some with me to the SGL camp in Hereford between the 12th and 14th Oct. Also if you will be at the camp and happen to know that you would like any in advance, please do not hesitate to get in touch with me, I will make sure I bring enough with me and I will hand deliver them to you on site :D.

Thank you all.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey,

Just a quick message to say big Thank You to everyone who purchased a bracelet from @Helen or myself at the weekend. We managed to raise £150 for Astro Cymru which I have just send over to them :)

If I missed anyone who would like to purchase a bracelet, I have a couple left with me so please either get in touch or head over to the Astro Cymru website at http://www.astrocymru.co.uk/web/ where you can purchase them from Emma directly.

Many Thanks again.

Simon

@Helen, she was seriously impressed that I thought of her, which makes me seriously indebted to you and Emma! My wife has even asked me to write down the order of the planets so she can tell her friends - which is something of an Astronomy breakthrough! 

I owe you a drink at the next SP! 

Ady

2 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

@Helen, she was seriously impressed that I thought of her, which makes me seriously indebted to you and Emma! My wife has even asked me to write down the order of the planets so she can tell her friends - which is something of an Astronomy breakthrough! 

I owe you a drink at the next SP! 

Ady

:thumbright: Result!!  Great to hear Ady :smile:

Helen

Archived