Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

interstellaryeller

Do You Have A Favorite Telescope

The one I use the most when the weather permits at the moment is my Revelation 12" Dob.

So that must make it my favourite - at the moment.

Avtar

Favourite: I'm loving my 200p dob, the more I learn the more I want to see and the SE 8" lets me do it.

What to buy next? Probably a CPC 1100.

Fantasy scope: A Moonraker Teslar series built around an Istar 150 F12 R35 objective on an EQ8.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Fantasy would be something along the lines of a 4-5" triplet apo binoscope.

I don't really own any fancy scopes at the moment but they are all portable which means they get used quite a bit when its clear :)

I have owned a fair few scopes, some like the Antares 105 f15 was a bit rare, same as the TAL 125r..........but my keeper and still my favorite has to be the TAL100rs, this is my most used scope, my 150 pro mak is also a very good scope, and if i had to choose between it would be a tough call 

• Like 1

Orion SX250 - recently purchased and, apart from the fact there's been cloud cover since I got it home a week ago, I have had a quick (10min) look at the moon....breathtaking!

TV-101 

There are times under my light-polluted skies when it's not enough and I drag the C11 out, but if I lived someplace with dark skies it'd be all I'd ever need. 

Definitely the CPC1100 for me - fantastic views, very comfortable to use during long sessions and dead easy to set-up and pack away.

For grab-n-go it would be my Celestron Omni 150 SLT Newtonian (the same as a SW Explorer 150P with a fancy paint job) which is a joy to use with nice sharp views.

Another vote for the TAL 100RS from me.A solidly build bit of kit with a real industrial aesthetic going on.My first 'proper' Frac.-and I'm loving it!

This is my favourite scope. Her name is Andromeda. She's 24 years old, 1.9m tall and has a tiny 47cm waist!

(She's a D&G 5" F15 refractor and she is shown next to my second favourite scope, Tovarich the Tal 100RS..).

Davepost-4043-0-58480900-1422714664_thumb.jp

• Like 4

I'm a TAL 100Rs owner so do I have a favourite telescope ? Ummmm ....bears and popes come to mind :)

Edited by Astro_Baby
  • Like 2

I'm a TAL 100Rs owner so do I have a favourite telescope ? Ummmm ....bears and popes come to mind :)

"TAL owners of the world,unite and take over." - With apologies to Morrissey!

Hi ...

My Favourite scope has to be the 12 inch Dob.

I have no experience with schmidt cassegrains due to the cost, however I have ordered A celestron CGEM DX EDGE HD 14 INCH SCT.

Hope its worth it and looking forward to getting to grips with it.

Rob.

I have no experience with schmidt cassegrains due to the cost, however I have ordered A celestron CGEM DX EDGE HD 14 INCH SCT.

That sounds like a great starter scope for your SCT experience :lol:

Based on what I see through my 11" SCT that should be seriously brilliant - enjoy!

• Like 1

My favourite scope is the ST80 that got me back into astronomy after a 30 year break

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I'm glad to see that there are so many TAL fans. Personally, I think that a 4" (ish) refractor hits a Lunar & Planetary sweet spot.

In a similar vein, I've just bought another Evostar 90 as a grab 'n go. Unbeatable at the price point.

So I guess you could put that down as my favourite!

Mine is my 127mm f8 iStar refractor on its HEQ5 mount , a match made in heaven , this OTA is almost as good as a friends C8 on deep sky , but when it comes to stars ( doubles etc ) and the moon and planets ,, only a frak I am afraid .

Brian.

Rather fond of my C8 Edge HD. It beats my old 120 ED on planets, and equals my old 200p Dob on DSO's. its also no slouch on galaxy/PN DSO imaging when reduced, and the whole thing is very compact and weighs just 5kg. I reckon it will do rather well at planetary and Lunar imaging when I get round to it as well. Not a bad all rounder if you don't mind being limited to 1.4 degrees FOV :)

That's a tough call, would need a three sided coin to flip; will have to look for one.

Sometimes it is my Orion 80mm ED. Other times my 25 year old C11. Lately it has been my Meade 8" f/6.3 

wide field scope. Sometimes we are fickle. 

i dont have as favorite, but i do gave a list o ones id like to out.

SkyWatcher Explorer series and Meade LX90 would have to be my favourites. Love the scale and possibilities/price ratio of SkyWatchers - and am really in love with Meade's design choices.