Narrowband

Light Pollution, A Sky Full Of Mud

I live Akron Ohio a mile from north of the I 76 interchange and about 5 blocks from I 77, 277 interchange to my north. They have erected 6 100 mercury vapor lights at each location. By doing this my view of Sagittarius and Scorpius and blackness of space has turned brown. To add insult to injury it looks a mist of mud and light. You can even see the light being reflected back from mid level clouds at night making them look yellow. We need shielded lights or the milky way will go the way of the unicorn. :laughing2:

removal of unsuitable word Kai

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It can be quite bad for me depending where/when I observe as

A) my meighbour has a motion sensitive light over his backyard for when his dog goes out to wonder during the dark hours. Thankfully tho his garden has been 'dog-proofed' and he is willing to turn it off if I ask.

:p I live across the road from a primary school, said primary school no longer knows what curtains and blinds are for so whenever they are meeting during the winter months any kind of early evening observing (right up to about 11:30pm some nights) is right out and even when there isnt anyone there there are 3/4 big exterior lights that are on constantly, under the excuse of 'preventing the kiddies from slipping on ice/snow/water in the dark' uh-huh is that why said lights are on when the school is all locked up and no one is there is it??

Anywho thankfully at the back of the house it can be pretty dark but it means I only get good views towards the north & east. west & south are spoilt by the school. :hello2:

It can be quite bad for me depending where/when I observe as

A) my meighbour has a motion sensitive light over his backyard for when his dog goes out to wonder during the dark hours. Thankfully tho his garden has been 'dog-proofed' and he is willing to turn it off if I ask.

:p I live across the road from a primary school, said primary school no longer knows what curtains and blinds are for so whenever they are meeting during the winter months any kind of early evening observing (right up to about 11:30pm some nights) is right out and even when there isnt anyone there there are 3/4 big exterior lights that are on constantly, under the excuse of 'preventing the kiddies from slipping on ice/snow/water in the dark' uh-huh is that why said lights are on when the school is all locked up and no one is there is it??

Anywho thankfully at the back of the house it can be pretty dark but it means I only get good views towards the north & east. west & south are spoilt by the school. :hello2:

Try complaining to the school board about senselessly wasting your money by illuminating an empty schoolyard.

Archived